Iron air filter - air pockets to outside faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric80

Reaction score
Hi, Looking for some help with my iron air filter. New house on well water. We have a Water-right impressions air filter with a water softener after. Off our pressure tank, the supply line is tee'd to go to outside faucets and to the air filter. After a regeneration cycle, we get air pockets when using the outside faucets for the first 3-5 min of using a garden hose or sprinkler. Any time after that is normal till the next regeneration. We have never experienced this with any faucets, toilets, or showers past the air filter/softener. Our plumber says this can happen. I questioned if the check valve in the supply outlet to the air filter is faulty. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks Eric

Bannerman

Reaction score
the supply line is tee'd to go to outside faucets and to the air filter.
By this description, it would seem the outside hose bibs are being supplied filtered water whereas the house fixtures may be supplied unfiltered water from the alternate branch of the Tee.

Last edited:

Lillian

Reaction score
Eric80- I am having this same exact problem. We rebuilt both outside faucets thinking the air draw may have come from there. We have the Water-right system as well. I called today and they said it couldn't be their system because it's untreated water. Well, air is getting to the outside faucets, that's for sure. I did not have this problem last year before the system was installed. Could it back draw the air at that tee? Have you found a solution?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Definitely inspect/replace the inlet check valve, this is typically located on the inlet of the valve. You can also add en external one on the inlet of the system.
1655766612858.png

Attachments

• 1655766623230.png
    1655766623230.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 102

Lillian

Reaction score
Definitely inspect/replace the inlet check valve, this is typically located on the inlet of the valve. You can also add en external one on the inlet of the system
One other thing I noticed, after regen I get a lot of air. I ran the sprinkler for 20 minutes and had air on and off the entire time. Went to the basement to see if I could find anything. I noticed that when the pressure tank kicked on and was at full pressure, the sputtering stopped. As soon as the pressure went down to a certain point, sputtering started again. 2 days after regen, sprinkler works fine. I'm thinking we drew all of the air out of the iron filter. I don't know where else air would enter the system. No problem with inside faucets, only the outside faucets.

I find it interesting that two of us, using the same system from the same company, are having this problem. I would imagine there are others. Almost seems to be a flaw.

Thoughts?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Monitor the supply and outlet pressure when air exits the iron filter. If the pressure in the media tank drops considerably such as when drawing water faster than it can be replenished, the low pressure causes the air pocket in the media tank to expand beyond the capacity of the tank and the air moves forward. This is a common occurrence with these systems. It is not a flaw per se, just a law-of-physics limitation.

If the supply pressure stays high, it could be a flow restriction in the piping feeding the iron filter. Make sure the piping size is adequate. If not supply piping size, it could be the iron filter size. If the supply pressure drops, then you need to look upstream as to the cause.

Lillian

Reaction score
If the pressure in the media tank drops considerably such as when drawing water faster than it can be replenished, the low pressure causes the air pocket in the media tank to expand beyond the capacity of the tank and the air moves forward. This is a common occurrence with these systems. It is not a flaw per se, just a law-of-physics limitation.
I think that's the issue. Is there a "fix", or like you said, is it a limitation and I'm stuck with it? It's very irritating and makes it difficult to water the garden.

Sure wish I would have known this before having the filter installed.

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume the irrigation water is not going thru the iron filter. In that case, you could put a check valve before the iron filter.

Lillian

Reaction score
I'm not going to do anything at this point. It's still under warranty. The company that installed it is going to come out to look at it in two weeks.

I guess I just wanted as much information as possible so that I don't sound like a big dummy when they come. I'd like to have intelligent questions and some basic knowledge because some companies will take advantage of people.

If anyone has thoughts or questions that I can bring up, the help would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I presume the irrigation water is not going thru the iron filter.
Mine goes through the iron filter so that I don't stain the concrete and house siding. I do have one outside spigot that bypasses the iron filter for watering grass and shrubs far away from the house and sidewalk but regretted that when the wife decided to water our beautiful paper white Birches that turned rust colored.

Lillian

Reaction score
In case anyone is following this thread, the people that installed the iron filter were out today to look at it. The problem was a check valve that got stuck because of the iron. Check valved replaced and no more air. Unit was less than a year old.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks