IPC, any problems with this arrangement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Greenmountain

Reaction score
The 3" c/o is somewhat obstructed but it's also redundant.
The 2" going up is a dry vent, the trap is from a tub, and the 3" combo from a w/c.
Does the 2" vented tub drain count as a horiz wet vent for the w/c here?

plumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The 2" is horizontally wet venting the water closet, but it should be 3"up to the trap arm since it's also vertically wet venting the toilet. That's a UPC requirement. IPC doesn't think it needs to be bigger.

Greenmountain

Reaction score
I am IPC here, and the 2" will def help in terms of fitting w/in framing...
In real life, could it happen that if toilet was flushed while tub was draining, the toilet trap could potentially be pulled enough to gap it?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you'd be better off draining the toilet horizontally into the branch instead of from above.

Greenmountain

Reaction score
I think you'd be better off draining the toilet horizontally into the branch instead of from above.
not sure I follow... that combo would connect straight up to the toilet flange, so the branch is located by the toilet flange.
The arrangement in the pic is not exactly to scale but pretty close.
Would it be better to have the 3x2x3 wye below rather than upstream of w/c combo?
If so, I could increase to 3" below the 2" SanT, bring it out farther (toward viewer in the pic) and back to the 3" branch downstream of combo (in which case the the 3x2x3 would be a 3x3x3)?

Last edited:

Greenmountain

Reaction score
I was thinking this way might be better as tub draining helps wash toilet debris down the line,
but seems there may also be a slight potential to pull a gap in the toilet trap?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
A simpler version of your initial picture is below (where the fittings are drawn in perspective over the photo, with the white squares indicating the edges of the fittings, and blue is 2", red is 3"). It uses an upright 3" combo (side entry is vertical).

What John suggested is the second version, where there is a 3" wye that is horizontal (side entry has 2% slope) and a closet bend under the WC.

Either way, a cleanout at the upstream end of the 3", and a horizontal 3x3x2 wye.

Cheers, Wayne

plumb2.jpg

plumb.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks