Installing P-Trap on Washing Machine in a country close to the equator.

Users who are viewing this thread

JYL

Reaction score
Several houses have been build. The plumbing have been made by the builder and is largely encased in concrete. We can't inspect anything.

So far, we did not find any place where to rent a Plummer Camera, so we are navigating a little blind.

We know there are VENT problems on both, the Gray and Black water sewer that are mostly separate. However, most of the fix are relatively easy as the toilet and sink are on an exterior wall. The exception, the washing machine.

We did test the washing machine drain pipe. We did poor a gallon of water in it. The next day, using an electric fish and a rag, we were trying to find some water. After 10 feet down, we check the rag, and it was 99% dry. Very unlikely to have visited a P-Trap. That drain smell, another tell sign.

Now, the question is how to correct it considering that everything is in concrete.

1 - Use an AAV valve what is pretty common in this country.
2 - Use a Drain-loop and an AAV valve
3 - Put the P-Trap underground outside with the Vent to the roof. (Sorry if my design is a little funny. I did not load the pipe library in my CAD systems.)

plumbing.png

In this country, you can use IPCC or Canadian Plumbing code or others recognize plumbing code of the USA or Canada. The joke is that nobody will verify anyway. There is no inspector.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do have at least one vent through roof.

I expect that you have the WM drainage go to the gray water system. If you get a smell from the WM standpipe, add a p-trap to the washing machine standpipe, and use an AAV with that. Temporarily, you can pull the WM drain hose out, and put a big cork into the WM drain.

Lavatory-- is that gray water? If so, you will not be able to wet vent the toilet using the lavatory drain. Lavatory trap can use an AAV, but there needs to be a vent thru roof somewhere in the black water system.

Is the gray water system sealed? If so, it will need a real vent thru roof.

Do not add a whole-house trap. Those are seldom used in new construction in the US or Canada.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The trap for a laundry should be above the floor with a vent to atmosphere.

washer_rough_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JYL

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
What I would do is rough it in just like it was the USA put a 2 x1 1/2 x2 santee and vent out the roof or an AAV if that's what you want the santee around 16 inches high and around 24 to 30 inch piece of pipe for stand pipe.
A little confused so your new house isn't equipped with plumbing?

JYL

Reaction score
Do have at least one vent through roof.

I expect that you have the WM drainage go to the gray water system. If you get a smell from the WM standpipe, add a p-trap to the washing machine standpipe, and use an AAV with that. Temporarily, you can pull the WM drain hose out, and put a big cork into the WM drain.

Lavatory-- is that gray water? If so, you will not be able to wet vent the toilet using the lavatory drain. Lavatory trap can use an AAV, but there needs to be a vent thru roof somewhere in the black water system.

Is the gray water system sealed? If so, it will need a real vent thru roof.

Do not add a whole-house trap. Those are seldom used in new construction in the US or Canada.
For the gray water, we are adding the vent pipe US/CANADA way but on the outside of the building going to the roof. It is pretty easy to do. Lot of hole in concrete but can be repaired. The washing machine is in the middle of the room and the floor is finish with tiles, concrete of 1.5' thick with rebar.

For black water, the builder was proud to tell us that it did install a vent. We can find a vent on the roof, so it is likely true. Somebody is supposed to do a smoke test to check it,

There are two very advance septic systems (TANK)... one of the septic tank is equipped with a whole house U-TRAP that can be removed by changing a few connectors. The other is straight pipe.

JYL

Reaction score
What I would do is rough it in just like it was the usa put a 2 x1 1/2 x2 santee and vent out the roof or an AAV if thats what you want the santee around 16 inches high and around 24 to 30 inch piece of pipe for stand pipe.
A little confused so your new house isnt equiped with plumbing?
The builder have installed plumbing. The toilet was going to a septic tank. All the others (Gray water) appliances directly to the street. Gray water to the street is illegal in that city…. But he did it anyway. And it does smell food, shampoo, what ever...

The builder is a licensed plumber in that country, but it has absolutely no training.

The washing machines have a pipe like in the diagram but no vent, no p-trap. It did seem to work well when the water was sent to the street. However, do smell since the gray water septic tank is installed.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
AAV is fine for standpipe.

Canada allows that standpipe trap to be below the floor.
Why would you put it below the floor? We tearing out concrete for the fun of it? If there are vent problems why would you add an aav here? It may be the only vent.

Reach4

Reaction score
Why would you put it below the floor? We tearing out concrete for the fun of it? If there are vent problems why would you add an aav here? It may be the only vent.
I would not want to tear up concrete to add a laundry p-trap.

A p-trap below the floor for a kitchen island could be nice IMO, if allowed.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
JYL, I dont know if the illustration was a guess of what is there or what actually is but if there is a pipe with no trap coming out of slab and your sure its a drain plumb it like its first world for best results. put a trap and vent out the roof or as a second best and only other option install an aav

JYL

Reaction score
JYL, I dont know if the illustration was a guess of what is there or what actually is but if there is a pipe with no trap coming out of slab and your sure its a drain plumb it like its first world for best results. put a trap and vent out the roof or as a second best and only other option install an aav
The part in the house is like in the diagram. However, there is a second floor and the wall don't line up between the floor.
AAV is fine for standpipe.

Canada allows that standpipe trap to be below the floor.
Here, in this PROPOSED design, it is not below the floor but outside in the dirts. (At this moment, there are no P-Trap for the washing machine)

There is a full U-trap at the septic tank... We remove it for a test and the air of 3 houses become unbearable in less than 12 hours. We also discovered that the shower were installed without P-Trap.

We were surprise by the odours. The gray water septic tank is in operation for only 3 days and is mostly full of rain and potable water. When you open the tank lid, it does not smell anything at all.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When I traveled to places like Belize I noticed that most of the plumbing was wrong, and everything smelled.
Just because there are no codes there, doesn't mean there is no sense in trying to make it right. As you have noticed, sewer smell is not pleasant, and not safe for humans either.
And yes, the showers need traps.

JYL

Reaction score
When I traveled to places like Belize I noticed that most of the plumbing was wrong, and everything smelled.
Just because there are no codes there, doesn't mean there is no sense in trying to make it right. As you have noticed, sewer smell is not pleasant, and not safe for humans either.
And yes, the showers need traps.
Thanks, Terry, we did put the P-Trap outside in the dirt. Seems to work for now.

I am trying to redo vent from the outside and sometime use supplementary AAV. Lucky for me, most of the fixture are on exterior wall.

The major issue I have at the moment is that the plumber(s) refuse to follow my instruction. The second plumber I hire did also hide everything he was doing. I am now at plumber #5, and he is much better but still.

I was thinking that my status as a Gringo (with funny French accent) was the main issue… but no, they do the same with a local "Plumbing Engineer" with university diploma from Canada, USA, and Costa Rica. In fact, I am told that my engineer know nothing.

We found out how the odour was created. They put an underground 4'x4'x4' concrete box to collect all the Gray water. Then, take the water from that smallish tank to send it to the BIONEST processing tank. There are Plumber/homemade Grease traps in the kitchens, and they don't seem to work. That box was full of fat and did smell like hell.

The engineer said that there is no reason for the underground box. Plumber #5 does refuse to remove it for the moment.

We have 3 of the largest BIONEST tank made, and the company tell us that none are properly installed. Their engineer has been on site for the installation but have been overruled by the General Contractor. At the moment, they are monitoring the tank and they hope they will work and not break.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks, Terry, we did put the P-Trap outside in the dirt. Seems to work for now.

I am trying to redo vent from the outside and sometime use supplementary AAV. Lucky for me, most of the fixture are on exterior wall.

The major issue I have at the moment is that the plumber(s) refuse to follow my instruction. The second plumber I hire did also hide everything he was doing. I am now at plumber #5, and he is much better but still.

I was thinking that my status as a Gringo (with funny French accent) was the main issue… but no, they do the same with a local "Plumbing Engineer" with university diploma from Canada, USA, and Costa Rica. In fact, I am told that my engineer know nothing.

We found out how the odour was created. They put an underground 4'x4'x4' concrete box to collect all the Gray water. Then, take the water from that smallish tank to send it to the BIONEST processing tank. There are Plumber/homemade Grease traps in the kitchens, and they don't seem to work. That box was full of fat and did smell like hell.

The engineer said that there is no reason for the underground box. Plumber #5 does refuse to remove it for the moment.

We have 3 of the largest BIONEST tank made, and the company tell us that none are properly installed. Their engineer has been on site for the installation but have been overruled by the General Contractor. At the moment, they are monitoring the tank and they hope they will work and not break.
trap and vent your washing machine as if you were in the USA .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks