Installed new Delta RP1740 cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

Cjewell0422

Reaction score
My tub had a constant drip & it was getting worse snd expensive. So did my research it looked simple enough. Took out the old forgot to took how it was positioned tho replaced the new one. Had a small stream and so I adjusted it in
A different position it was better. Took it out to reposition again,forgot to drain the line the water blew the seat snd spring out. Put it all back in place and got no water at all!! My husband did it again and you couldn't turn it. Took it out again snd still no hot water or cold water and we only replaced the hot one. BUT if you remove the piece water goes everywhere.Im so confused and just want to be able to bath the kids. Anyone have any idea what's wrong?
Also I'd like to note some black sediment came up with the water in chunks. I need help thanks in advance

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like your seats and springs need reset. Make sure the springs are in correctly. They are counterintuitive in their position.

Cjewell0422

Reaction score
Sounds like your seats and springs need reset. Make sure the springs are in correctly. They are counterintuitive in their position.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't buy a new seat or spring was just using the old one but will buy new ones tomorrow and try it again. I know spring goes in first. Wide part to the more narrow part that fits in under the seat.Can't hurt to try it again. Hope it works.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I didn't buy a new seat or spring was just using the old one but will buy new ones tomorrow and try it again. I know spring goes in first. Wide part to the more narrow part that fits in under the seat.Can't hurt to try it again. Hope it works.
Are you sure you have the right cartridge? I just now bothered to look this up. I think thy number you posted (RP1740) isn't a bath faucet.

Cjewell0422

Reaction score
Are you sure you have the right cartridge? I just now bothered to look this up. I think thy number you posted (RP1740) isn't a bath faucet.
It says - stem for two handle kitchen , lavatory and tub /shower faucets. And it was what was the exact same thing I removed. This house is old and it's plumbing it's a crazy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks