In wall carrier, 1.6gpf or 1.28?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
So I need to install a wall hung toilet with in wall tank. The need is to create adequate clearance in front of the toilet.

The Duravit Starck compact units(ME or starck 3) are 19.125 inches long, and the smallest toto is 20.875 inches. We'd prefer the smaller unit, but poor bowl washing has been reported with the duravits. The bowl could be changed out in the future if the flushing were unacceptable, making it a limited risk. The 2 inches makes a significant difference in this space.

However the duravit is specified as 1.6gpf bowl. Toto has discontinued it's 1.6gpf toilets, so if I switch to a Toto later, I'd have a 1.6gpf carrier unit in the the wall.

Do you folks think that would work okay with the newer 1.28gpf bowls from Toto? Would the duravit work with a 1.28gpf carrier? Thanks for your advice!

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Also I did speak with Toto. They said the newer bowls such as the AP and EP are not tested with the 1.6 gallon carrier unit, but unofficially the tech said some customers had tried this and it worked, but he cautioned that the risk would be splashback from the greater force of the 1.6 gallons. Not sure if this is really a concern, but "splashback" does not sound desirable.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes people hold the buttons in, letting more than that to flush with. Surely they know that this happens.

Last edited:

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. Duravit just emailed me back and say they have tested two units, #253009(an 18.875 inch wall hung bowl) and #252959(a 22.5") and approve them for use with a 1.28 gallon carrier. Geberit however does not approve this combination, according to their techs. I may take this chance as I think WCs will be using less water in the future, and if we go to a 1 gallon flush in 5-10 years, the 1.6 carrier will probably be too much.

Any thought either way?

Thanks!

mowe

Reaction score
Hi, did you end up installing this combination? If so what're your thoughts? I'm interested in the compatibility of a 1.6 gpf wall unit with a 1.28 gpf bowl as well. Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes people hold the buttons in, letting more than that to flush with. Surely they know that this happens.

If you push the flush panel buttons in and hold it, it will empty the entire tank. I do this all the time while testing the parts inside the tank. It has never, ever, been a problem.

This isn't a new idea. Tank parts are timed out to only let a prescribed amount of water out during the flush, however the tanks hold much more water than that, and it's common that homeowners will hold the button in and use more of that water already in the tank.

Last edited:

DIYorBust

Reaction score
I got the 1.6 carrier due to inventory issues at the time, the 1.28 was not available. I haven't yet done the finish install, but experimenting with other toilets makes me feel like this will be fine. We'll soon see I suppose.

Tcal

Reaction score
I got the 1.6 carrier due to inventory issues at the time, the 1.28 was not available. I haven't yet done the finish install, but experimenting with other toilets makes me feel like this will be fine. We'll soon see I suppose.

How did this work out? I'm facing the same Geberit 1.28 vs 1.6 decision for my remodel.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would Guess that its the flush tower inside the tank that makes the difference in the volume of the flush. I haven't researched this but from a manufacturing standpoint, its cheaper to make the same super structure and just change the volume per flush by timing the tower.

However, getting flush towers for these was an ordeal for me. NO suppliers in our area stock them and the rep had to get a replacement from the factory when I needed 1 to fix a customers Only toilet. So I bought 2 as spares which I've never needed to use.. just sitting on the shelf preventing flush towers in the Seattle area from breaking.

**Edit** Just pulled the spare flush tower off the shelf. They have an adjustment on them to adjust from 9L to 6L on the 2015 model and 7.5L to 4.5L on the 2016 models... With a note that making these adjustments is illegal in the USA. DO NOT ATTEMPT

**EDIT 2**
There is a sticker that says that the product was not tested to perform on a 1.28gpf toilet and performance may vary.

Part number 241.290.00.1

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "pressure" for a flush is determined by the height of the water level in the tank which will be about the same regardless of the amount of water in it. The "duration" of the flush will be determined by the volume of water available, so a higher gpf will just cause a slightly longer flush, NOT splashback..

Tcal

Reaction score
The "pressure" for a flush is determined by the height of the water level in the tank which will be about the same regardless of the amount of water in it. The "duration" of the flush will be determined by the volume of water available, so a higher gpf will just cause a slightly longer flush, NOT splashback..

This is my thought as well. I figure using the Geberit 1.6 carrier with a Toto EP 1.28 bowl is my best defense against solid waste stickage caused by a small water spot even though Geberit doesn't say those two are compatible.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Technically I have a 1.6 carrier and a 1.6 toilet so I don't have any insight on how the 1.28 would work. My concern at the time was whether I'd get a good result using a 1.28 carrier with a 1.6 bowl, but if the bowl was designed for a 1.28 I'd probably be comfortable with that. Perhaps you can get a Toto branded carrier that would officially support the toto 1.28 bowl.

Tcal

Reaction score
For any future readers in the same situation, I can confirm the Toto 1.28 bowl works just fine with a Geberit 1.6 carrier. Even if you hold the big button on the carrier there's no splashing out of the bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks