I HATE THE NEWER WATER HEATERS!! NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS!!

Users who are viewing this thread

EDWINJCB

Reaction score
GE WATER HEATER, SOME 8 YEARS OLD. RECENTLY BURNER FLAME GOES OUT. I LIGHT THE PILOT BUT AS SOON AS I TURN THE KNOB TO BURNER FLAME, EVERYTHING GOES OUT. I CALLED RHEEM. WAS TOLD THE THERMOCOUPLE IS LIKELY BAD,W HICH I ALREADY FIGURED.

INSTALL NEW THERMOCOUPLE, NO IMPROVEMENT. OKAY,THEN YOUR GAS VALVE IS LIKELY BAD, I'M TOLD. THE TRD IS LIKELY GOOD, I'M TOLD, BECAUSE IF IT WAS TRIPPED, EVEN THE PILOT WOULD NOT LIGHT. I THEN TRIED A SUCCESSION OF FOUR GAS VALVES I'D SAVED FROM RUSTED OUT WATER HEATERS UP TO 10 YEARS AGO. GOT ONE GAS VALVE TO LIGHT THE BURNER, BUT IT BURNED IRREGULARY FOR ABOUT 30 SECONDS BEFORE FINALLY DYING. I TRIED CLEANING THE BURNER PLATE, NO HELP.

TRIED TWO MORE USED GAS VALVES THAT WERE WORKING FINE ON PREVIOUS WATER HEATERS, ALL OF THEM GOT THE PILOT LIT,BUT FLAMED OUT AS SOON AS I TRIED TO TURN FULL BURNER ON.

THIS WHOLE EXEERCISE WOULD HAVEN BEEN WORSE IF I'D RELIED ON THE DAMN SPARKER! I HATE THOSE THINGS. MUCH SIMPLER TO LIGHT WITH A MATCH OR PROPANE TORCH.

TWO TECH SUPPORT PEOPLE AT RHEEM FAILED TO MENTION A POSSIBLY CLOGGED FILTER, SO I'M GOING TO ASSUME THAT'S NOT AN ISSUE. BUT IT MAKES NO SENSE THAT 4 GAS VALVES DIDN'T FIRE UP THE BURNER PROPERLY. THE NEW THERMOCOUPLE I GOT COULD BE DEFECTIVE, BUT NOT LIKELY.

WOULD LOVE TO KNOW ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHY THIS IS HAPPENING!

THANKS

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Combustion air is coming from where?
Many instances of problems like yours is caused by clogged combustion air screen. Off the top of my head, I think Rheem is the mfr...so how is the combustion air path.
Some WHs have a fusible link that could also have been triggered. Check the exploded parts diagram... what a pain!

EDWINJCB

Reaction score
Right it really depends. Are you sure this tank isn't leaking?
Hey, everyone, just found the Rheem water heater has a fuse in bottom, called a TRD. Darn thing was tripped. It's such a scam that even though it's out of warranty, the government requires manufacturers to send out replacements at no charge, which is nice, but having to replace it and even considering it as a possible failure point is such a pain!! The tank is not leaking water. I vacuumed out the bottom of the heater, so hard to imagine the combustion screen clogged.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Parts get added to gas water heaters in the name of safety. Everything other than a pilot light and a thermocouple, everything else is to prevent gas leaks, fire and explosions. Many gas water heaters are in garages where gasoline fumes has started fires all too often. Down the street from me, 24 new townhomes were built in the last 2 years. Even electric water heaters in the garage are now installed on legs and a three foot pipe mounted in front of the WH for impact protection.

1664377187837.png

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
This fire started in the garage. Two or three men rented the townhome. One had to get out through the second floor window and cut his wrist, another one ate smoke. It was amazing how fast this fire spread, remember, garage walls and garage fire doors only have 20 minute rating. This fire burned for about two hours, no other injuries. This was directly across from my home.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Those thermo vials that go under the burner assembly on Rheem water heaters are an absolute pain in the
ass to change out... we have attempted to do this a number of times and it never seems to work right...

You would be wiser to just change out the water heater and cut your losses

Zayahjuarez

Reaction score
Never used a forum. Looking for help. I have a Bradford hot water heater. It just completely lost power. I flipped the breaker in the breaker box and nothing. No lights not even a hum. I tried the reset/ test button seems to be in still.

Glennhvac

Reaction score
All I can say is I have replaced more defective thermopile gas valves with the status LED than I had in the prior 40 years before the combustion redesign. When they first came out the AO Smiths had a small screen that did not filter out the small stuff in the combustion air. After a few years in the utility room that fine screen under the burner would begin to plug eventually causing pilot outages when the burner fired up.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
fire caused by waterheater? everyone I know is all electric in florida .
The fire started from a fan that was running 24/7 to keep a reptile cool in a very hot garage. But there are many fires that start in garages with or without gas water heaters. It just shows how fast and the damage a fire can do. This townhome was 80% replaced.

Mikerios

Reaction score
Hey, everyone, just found the Rheem water heater has a fuse in bottom, called a TRD. Darn thing was tripped. It's such a scam that even though it's out of warranty, the government requires manufacturers to send out replacements at no charge, which is nice, but having to replace it and even considering it as a possible failure point is such a pain!! The tank is not leaking water. I vacuumed out the bottom of the heater, so hard to imagine the combustion screen clogged.
They gave you wrong information about the pilot light. When the TRD is blown, the pilot will still work, at least for quite a while. The TRD shuts off air supply to the combustion chamber, so that after you light the pilot, when you turn the valve to light the burner, all the oxygen in the combustion chamber is quickly consumed, and then both the pilot and the main burner go out.

Mikerios

Reaction score
When the TRD blows (literally, a glass vial explodes!), it allows a damper to close off combustion air completely. At least on the model I'm familiar with, there is no combustion screen.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks