I created my own USB type C. It charges 5v devices, but not my Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

FreeLander

Reaction score
Hello,

I did my research on making my own USBC, I figured that I needed two 5.1kOhms resistors from CC1,CC2 to GND. I managed to find the pathway of CC1 in the breakout board I'm using and used the resistor to pull it down to GND. It did work and charged my Hawai headset, but it does not charge my Mac, I connected it to a PD trigger board and it only shows 5v. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_5350.JPG

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Apple devices have intelligent interfaces. If you are only talking about the cable you may need the data ports connected. Mac Book lap tops needed at least an 80-100 watt power supply for normal charging, above 100w for fast charging. When using an Apple wall pack and USB C cable, there is a hand shake between the laptop and the charger to protect the lap top. Your headset is more or less a dumb device and all it wants is power for charging.

FreeLander

Reaction score
Apple devices have intelligent interfaces. If you are only talking about the cable you may need the data ports connected. Mac Book lap tops needed at least an 80-100 watt power supply for normal charging, above 100w for fast charging. When using an Apple wall pack and USB C cable, there is a hand shake between the laptop and the charger to protect the lap top. Your headset is more or less a dumb device and all it wants is power for charging.
Hey. Thanks for the reply.
I have connected both data wires (white and green). It just doesn't seem to be able to recognize my cable though I'm using Apple's official wall pack.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
40 years working on all kinds of telephone systems, and did spend time in Cairo and Saudi, I never really got involved that much with data though I did use data circuits and tested with them software wise. It was always my weak point. However, I'm think it is great you're trying this out. In the UAE USB-C might not be that available but int he USA, cables can be bought just about anywhere. I learned during the vacuum days just as transistor radios was taken over. To be able to buy kits to build your own cheap radios and amplifiers was a big time thrill.

I came across this site and it has a good explanation of the history of USB ports and there are a few paragraphs about USB-C. It does mention Apple and that to protect its devices, smart interfacing is required. `

FreeLander

Reaction score
40 years working on all kinds of telephone systems, and did spend time in Cairo and Saudi, I never really got involved that much with data though I did use data circuits and tested with them software wise. It was always my weak point. However, I'm think it is great you're trying this out. In the UAE USB-C might not be that available but int he USA, cables can be bought just about anywhere. I learned during the vacuum days just as transistor radios was taken over. To be able to buy kits to build your own cheap radios and amplifiers was a big time thrill.

I came across this site and it has a good explanation of the history of USB ports and there are a few paragraphs about USB-C. It does mention Apple and that to protect its devices, smart interfacing is required. `

Hello. Thanks for getting back to me.
I could buy a USB-C cable for cheap anywhere here too, but I got involved in the DIY world and I don't seem to have gotten enouh of building things I don't need but to challenge myself. I enjoy it alot.

Thanks for the link. If you ever come back to Saudi. Make sure to throw me a DM. I bet you'd be surprised to see how things have changed here since your last visit (assuming it's been a while!).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks