Hydrogen Peroxide System Fouled Up

Users who are viewing this thread

flyguy

Reaction score
Reposting in the proper forum.

Hi everyone. I had a local water treatment company install an H2O2 system a couple of years back when we moved to our new home to rid us of the sulfuric iron and the smell that goes with it. The guy initially installed an ozone generator with a carbon backwash tank, and when that didn't work, added a Stenner pump and an H2O2 pump. That system worked very well for about a year, and then over the past 12 months, we have noticed a steady decrease in the consistency of water quality. Some days it's great, some not so great, and some pretty bad - seemingly with no rhyme nor reason.

I've called the guy back twice now, and it is exceedingly clear he has no Earthly idea what he's doing - and he finally admitted to me after I asked him a number of questions that he couldn't answer that he'd never installed one - things I wish I'd known $2,500 ago, but that's on me I suppose....

So....a few questions, as I've decided that it's probably better that I just educate myself and fix it so I know it's done right this time and so I better understand the system do I know what to do in the future.

1.) When my local guy installed the system, he insisted that there is no routine maintenance to the system other than refilling the H2O2 as needed. I found this hard to believe then, and after reading up a bit, it would appear that he was dead wrong. The question is - what should I be doing to it, and how often? I know for sure I should be replacing the tube in the Stenner every 2-3 years, but see conflicting reports on the rest. Any advice would be appreciated.

2.) One forum I read also recommended that you run a couple of backwash cycles with the Stenner set at 100% to flush and "reset" (my words, not his - just my interpretation) the resin. I tried that....and after running several cycles, I noticed that the Stenner actually does not run at all during the backwash cycle. Is that right, or is something hooked up / programmed wrong? Sure doesn't make logical sense to me at all that it wouldn't inject H2O2 during the backwash cycle.

3.) Our water pressure went to pretty much nothing a couple of weeks back, which finally caused me to declare war and dig into it. I began troubleshooting the things I know to do after being on a well for 20 years....tested the pressure tank and checked pressure when empty, checked the pressure switch to be sure it was adjusted correctly, etc. All that checked out. It finally hit me (should have tried this first...) to bypass both the H2O2 system and the softener. As soon as I bypassed the H2O2 system, the pressure bounced from 1.2-1.4GPM to 6 GPM (with two shower heads and a bathroom faucet running - about hat it should be) - instantly. I knew then that the H2O2 system was the culprit. I took off the maintenance cap where the venturi, etc. is located, and it was an absolute disaster - plumb full of slime and scale (see pics). I cleaned everything out as best I could, put it all back, ran a couple of backwash cycles, and cleaned it again - there was a bit more there, but it was far better. Did that a couple more times just for good measure, and things appeared to return to normal. Now, two weeks later, we're right back to where we started - just over 1GPM with the filter in the circuit, and normal pressure when bypassed. Has this thing been fouled to the point of no return? Should I replace the media? I would assume there is some routine maintenance that would have prevented this. Perhaps the H2O2 not running during backwash created the situation?

I have included pictures of the fouled innards as well as the equipment as requested by Bannerman. I unfortunately do not have have the results of a raw water test (assuming he even ran one), and do not know the type or quantity of media in the filter. Here's what I do know:

- I am diluting 35% H2O2 down to 7% with RO water (hence the RO system shown in the pics) in the tank.
- The Stenner pump is set at 15%, which is where the fellow that installed it had it set.
- The head on the unit has no manufacturer listed that I can see, so I posted pics of any identifying numbers I could find.
- The system pictured is installed between the pressure tank and the water softener (not pictured)

Lots of questions, so sorry for the long post - just wanted to get all the details out there in the hopes I could get some help. I would also gladly pay someone that really knows these systems to help me troubleshoot this over the phone if this is not a simple answer.

Thanks in advance for any guidance anyone can offer. Hope you have a great week!

-Wes

Attachments

• IMG_8757.jpg
    IMG_8757.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_8760.jpg
    IMG_8760.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_8756.jpg
    IMG_8756.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_8759.jpg
    IMG_8759.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_8761.jpg
    IMG_8761.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_8758.jpg
    IMG_8758.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_8622.jpg
    IMG_8622.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_8621.jpg
    IMG_8621.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 256

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
You have a proprietary valve, and unfortunately man of these did not add the ladder programming needed to run the pump during regen. You can dit it by simply putting the system into a backwash then press and hold the prime button.

Replace the pump tube annually.

Do you have a water report? I need to do the math to determine the settings.

You need to d a completer tear down of the valve. Remove it from the tank and inspect the top section of the tank for excessive buildup. See the attached link for how to do a valve rebuild.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks