Humidifier Leaking after repairs

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael2

Reaction score
I had to replace the shut off valve to my humidifier. I had the old style knob like for a toilet that opens closes with several turns. I put on a valve that is a quarter turn. I also changed the solenoid. Brand new. All insides are also new. My guesses.
1. The valve let's in too much water pressure. Not sure why that would be because the old one was fully opened. I had to change it out because I needed to change the solenoid but the knob wouldn't turn to shut off the water.

2. Not sure if it's possible but if I connected the fan power wires backwards would the fan be blowing the wrong direction?

Other than that there is no reason for this thing to be leaking from the housing. All lines cleared. I have an Aprilaire 760 whole house furnace humidifier.

Thank you

Reach4

Reaction score
1. You may be saying that the new 1/4 stop valve does not turn off the water, and I presume the old one did not turn off the water.

2. I think that is an AC motor on the fan, so reversing the wires would not make the fan run backwards.
I think that humidifier has a float valve to keep the sump in the housing from overfilling.

I think your humidifier uses a float valve inside to keep the sump from overflowing. Your model may have been discontinued.

Last edited:

Michael2

Reaction score
The new valve opens and closes. The old valve was stuck and it wouldn't turn after 21 years old. Very corroded.

The reason I was thinking the fan is backwards is because when I took it off and the fan was still spinning it looks like it was spinning in the wrong direction. Sucking air toward the fan instead of into the ducts. The fan has a power cord that plugs into an outlet. The wires I assumed were just an open/close type of thing to turn the fan on and off. I'm pretty sure the fan is going the wrong direction, but cannot figure out why or how that could happen.

I don't have an valves inside that I'm aware of. It's a pretty basic system. Water comes in the top, flows down the filter, fan blows water droplets into ducts, excess stays in the filter contraption and drains down the pipe.

Instead I have water pouring out of the housing.

Michael2

Reaction score
I just looked at a wiring diagram and I don't think I could have done anything to cause the fan to spin the wrong direction.

Reach4

Reaction score
So this may need a newer or smaller orifice.

Michael2

Reaction score
So this may need a newer or smaller orifice.

Thank you for your help. I found the problem. My drain line isn't clogged to where it prevents water flowing, but obstructed enough to back up. Water has been draining through the PVC pipe into the floor drain this entire time, but it apparently not open enough to prevent the backup of water.

Also, the fan. It's supposed to pull water toward the fan, then it circulates around the housing back into the furnace ducts. I would have thought that the fan would blow toward the humidifier filter to blow the water into the furnace ducts. Learn something new everyday....I'm good for the week now...lol.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks