How to prevent drain snake from going up vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

FraserJim

Reaction score
Ever since a remodel, it seems when I try to snake our kitchen sink drain line, the snake goes up the vent vs. going down the drain line. Very limited access under the sink, so it is very frustrating. Are there any tools or tricks that I can use to prevent snake going up vent?

Reach4

Reaction score
If you feed enough snake, does it come thru the roof vent? If so, maybe snake thru that roof vent when the weather is good.

Where are you running the snake into? Consider a photo.

FraserJim

Reaction score
With the remodel, they put in a bay window and re-route the vent with two 90 elbows. If I start going up the vent, I can hear snake thru wall. Of course, drain only stops up when it is snowing. In the past, I have had plumbers try to snake from roof. A lot of swearing. Snaking underneath sink. Into tee. The leg of the tee that I go into is too long to get an angle down. Like previously mentioned yardstick solution.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Depending on the type of snake you're using. The best option if you have replacable heads is to use a Drop Head attachement, which is the cutting head on a swivel so it drops down the tee and the cable follows.

But if you're using just a wire cable ended snake, then you can slightly bend the tip of it to help guide it down the tee. The trick to this is that as you feed the snake in, the the snake will rotate so you need to either

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
............ Of course, drain only stops up when it is snowing.................
Did the drain stoppage happen before the remodel? Is it ice jamming it up or solidified grease or food stuffs? If it is PVC pipe, it should not be the clogging up. If it is then something was not done right like the pitch. If it is galvanized pipe, it'll be a never ending story. Any access from a crawl space or basement? The fix is not how to always snake it but fix the clogging. We all like to help you out.

FraserJim

Reaction score
Did the drain stoppage happen before the remodel? Is it ice jamming it up or solidified grease or food stuffs? If it is PVC pipe, it should not be the clogging up. If it is then something was not done right like the pitch. If it is galvanized pipe, it'll be a never ending story. Any access from a crawl space or basement? The fix is not how to always snake it but fix the clogging. We all like to help you out.
The pipe is galvanized. Food stuff. There is a crawl space that is accessed thru a small space above bathroom toilet. At 75, I am not as agile as I used to be, we have been in the house 43-years. Not as much problem as it used to be when we had our two girls growing up.

Pipe runs above finished ceiling. I kick myself for not replacing pipe during basement remodel about 10-years ago. I have been toying with having a plumber come in, tear up the ceiling and replacing with PVC. Can I gave them install a wye with a cap underneath sink to use as future access?

Reach4

Reaction score
I kick myself for not replacing pipe during basement remodel about 10-years ago. I have been toying with having a plumber come in, tear up the ceiling and replacing with PVC. Can I have them install a wye with a cap underneath sink to use as future access?
Yes.
But when you are rodding, are you going thru the trap, or entering at the trap adapter?

Reach4

Reaction score
I remove the trap altogether. Then go right into the tee.
At the wall? I would think you could tilt the snake as you enter, and once you are going down, you are in.

This presumes the trap adapter is right on the sanitary tee.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
should be able to go down the sink santee a bend or a end on snake called a "drop head" or simply put a wye in under sink for cleanout

Skeezix

Reaction score
>>But if you're using just a wire cable ended snake, then you can slightly bend the tip of it to help guide it down the tee. The trick to this is that as you feed the snake in, the the snake will rotate so you need to either <<

Go on, go on. The suspense is killing me...

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
>>But if you're using just a wire cable ended snake, then you can slightly bend the tip of it to help guide it down the tee. The trick to this is that as you feed the snake in, the the snake will rotate so you need to either <<

Go on, go on. The suspense is killing me...
Hah! I think I got interrupted that day.

... As the cable is fed into the drain the bent tip needs to be kept oriented downwards. I mark my cable with a bit of chalk to see which side is Up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks