How to fix main water line leak issue-repipeing or rerouting pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

fuji3

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My house recently got a serious water leaking issue for the main water line between the water meter and the main switch(on-off)at the garage.
We asked the plumber take a look and here are the 2 options that we are not sure which option to choose.
Do appreciate your advice ASAP.
Option 1: re-piping: locate the leaking places, then remove the slab and replace with some new pipes on the leaking places.
Concern: will more leaking will come up in the future even after fixed the current leaking places?

Option 2: rerouting pipes-this may be more complicated construction but after it's done-leaking issue probably won't come back again for next 5-10 years.
Concern: not sure if this is common way to fix or any disadvantage of this rerouting?

Thank you in advanced and looking forward to hearing your advice or input

Themp

Reaction score
You will need to post more on how the water line gets to the garage shutoff. Does it run through the house slab or garage floor? A water line leak is usually outside. I say this because an older neighbor was told she had a leak in the slab and it would be 5K to fix. Her son came in and found the leak in the yard. They dug it up and fixed it. I assume you have no leaks after the shutoff in the garage.

fuji3

Reaction score
You will need to post more on how the water line gets to the garage shutoff. Does it run through the house slab or garage floor? A water line leak is usually outside. I say this because an older neighbor was told she had a leak in the slab and it would be 5K to fix. Her son came in and found the leak in the yard. They dug it up and fixed it. I assume you have no leaks after the shutoff in the garage.

Thank you so much for the quick feedback-do appreciate it. I think the water line gets to the garage shutoff-seems it run though the house slab and was also told the water line is outside and no leaks after the shutoff. I am posting a few pictures for the leak of my water line( see below link)
https://waterlineleaking.shutterfly.com/pictures/8
So, if with the option 2-which is re-routing pipe, I heard may need to dig a few holes on the wall( let the pipe go through) and later need to ask another handy man to make up the hole, is that true? -or- any other options to do the rerouting without dig any holes on the wall?

Thanks again in advanced for any of the input.

Themp

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. I would not want to break that garage or driveway floor. There are plumbing folks that can feed a new line through the old one. But no experience with this. I would not just patch the existing line until you know why it is failing? What is the pipe material used? You show a leak on the outside wall of the garage I assume. Is the leak in the wall and feeding to the outside? Where the caution tape is. You show no leak of water inside the garage from the wall. That would seem to rule out a leak in the pipe going up the wall. But then again what is the grey section below the shutoff? Is that cement block or a poured wall? One photo on the outside wall shows two plates and a grey thing. What are these for? And what is the outside siding, stucco?

The red lines on the photo. I understand the one going to the shutoff. What are the other lines showing? Is the other meter for a irrigation system?

Erico

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the quick feedback-do appreciate it. I think the water line gets to the garage shutoff-seems it run though the house slab and was also told the water line is outside and no leaks after the shutoff. I am posting a few pictures for the leak of my water line( see below link)
https://waterlineleaking.shutterfly.com/pictures/8
So, if with the option 2-which is re-routing pipe, I heard may need to dig a few holes on the wall( let the pipe go through) and later need to ask another handy man to make up the hole, is that true? -or- any other options to do the rerouting without dig any holes on the wall?

Thanks again in advanced for any of the input.

Is that a "post tension slab" stamp in the concrete at the garage door? If so, you shouldn't disturb the slab without extreme caution and maybe an engineer.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the slab is one of your main concerns, re-routing will damage the slab the least.

A repair (under the slab) will not guaranty you that you won't get new leaks in the future.

I would re-route with a new pipe.

fuji3

Reaction score
Above all, thank you so much for the nice advice and it's such a big help to me-learned a lot from all of your comment and finally decided to go with the re-route with new pipe. I seems the plumber will dig 5-6 holes on the wall for the re-routing and will need ask other handyman to make those holes-assume that's a very common case for re-route? Thank you again for all your comments!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks