How to determine the cross-linked resin% inside the fiber glass tank

Users who are viewing this thread

HLearning

Reaction score
I just had a new water softener system installed (the clack ws1) but i'm having my doubts, whether the cross-linkedin resin is 10% as they say it is.

While the reviews are rock solid, but my communication with the supplier, gives me some question mark.
The person i was mainly communicated with, says is 10%.
But when i called a few days later, the person said it was 8% for the Clack valve Ws1 and he was pushing me towards a Erie Water softener.

So i resume my email discussion, and he confirmed it was 10% cross-linked resin, and did that a few times.
I guess my nervousness, stems from the fact from two different people are giving me two different stories

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
No way to tell, most of the cheap online companies use a very low crosslink resin, or they don't know what they are getting since they did not assemble the equipment. This low crosslink resin is extremely cheap and since their is no way to tell what it is outside of doing lab testing, and you typically won't know until a few years later when the resin breaks down to mush...

HLearning

Reaction score
that's quite unfortunate.
It's part of the reason i felt un-eased, knowing that he could say in writing, it's 10% knowing we couldn't prove it.

Although there is a lot of google review from people with pictures, I still feel unease because:
1. The other sales person told me another thing (that 10% was extra), and different prices, and pushed me to Erie Softener
2. The call display, coming from this number was called Kitchen Pro. Even though it was the same number tied to this water softening retailer, the very few review for this company was not good on independent websites.
3. The language barrier from the technicians send, even when i showed pictures of the cross-linked resin, were hesitant, and said they didn't understand english. Their english really sucked, but man....i do wonder if they were just scared to say something to get them in trouble.

I guess like you said, only way i'll know it's in a few years.

Bannerman

Reaction score
10% Cross Linked resin is more costly.

Assuming your water supply is municipal and therefore will be chlorinated with either plain chlorine or chloramine (chlorine and ammonia), you could install a backwashing carbon filter upstream from the softener. Not only will this extend the lifespan of any softener resin, removing the chlorine and other contaminants including disinfection byproducts will improve the quality of the water for your family's health and enjoyment.

The dealer likely makes higher profit selling Erie.

Either a Fleck or Clack valve is the best choice.

blaze4545

Reaction score
Look for stickers which say Waterite or Excalibur. Usually on the side of the valve, just before the bypass.
Should have a number with a serial number, and you can call the manufacturer and ask what it is built as.

Majority of the time, dealers up here are just using 7-8% with 10lbs of carbon...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks