How to connect to pre-plumb drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Texas-Tom

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm getting ready to connect my whole-house water filter, and I thought connecting into water loop might be challenging, but it seems the drainage for backwash itself is pain in the ass. My pre-plumb has about 10" of 1.5" PVC capped with Charlotte 447-015 which seems to be slip fitting that is cemented onto pipe (pictures attached). I'm not sure what this is connected to as there is nothing of interest on other side of this wall (kitchen/family room, but kitchen sink/dishwasher are on different wall). I was thinking of putting a P-trap directly onto this, 22 degree joint, 20" of PVC, 22 degree joint to straighten it back, air gap on top of it, and put backwash drainage into that (I read the recommendations are at least 18" of PVC under air gap, and some air-gap products recommend 22 angle to reduce water noise).

The stupid question I have is how to even uncap my sealed drain? From what I read online it seems to options are either to cut or to use heat (which would weaken structural integrity). But even after that is done, you can see on my picture that PVC of the drain is not smooth, but is covered by either pipe insulation or maybe just some drywall insulation stuff that stuck onto it, so I won't be able to connect anything to it without somehow smoothening it. This is a 6 month old build, and rest of the piping seems to be pretty decent quality, so I must be missing something really obvious on how to connect to that drain.

P_20220718_133647.jpeg
P_20220718_182101.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
Could it be that pipe is covered with foam wrap to protect the pipe from the concrete when it was poured?

Texas-Tom

Reaction score
PEX water loop above it was covered with foam wrap + black duck tape, but this pipe was just covered with black duck tape (which I partially removed in the picture) and the thing on the pipe is stuck to it, so it is not a wrap.

Reach4

Reaction score
You saw the pipe (with a saw), but if that stuff on the outside of the pipe is not removable, then gluing on a new fitting could be a problem. If that textured stuff is not under the black covering, you would saw closer to the wall..

Once you cut the pipe, you might be able to see in. Maybe there is a vented sanitary tee in the wall.

If there are similar houses in your development, a talk with some homeowners may provide info.

You have an access panel there. Can you see stuff in there?

Is this a floor or wall?

Texas-Tom

Reaction score
This is a wall, and that textured stuff was under the black tape (I removed part of it to check). Access panel is water valve. I guess I'll just saw and either try to sand that stuff or find a fitting that goes inside the pipe rather than on outside.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What you have is wall texture on the pipe. Super common to see that. I scrape that off and wetting it down will help too. A wet sponge is nice to use on it.
When the pipe has been scraped and washed off, then you can glue on the new fitting. The end with the cap gets cut off and tossed.

Reach4

Reaction score
Seems a shame.

I think I would cut that cap off and see if there is a tee at the end. Then cover it back with a removable cap, while you make your plans. If you find an elbow vs a sanitary tee, that could change your plans.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks