How to connect 1" PEX A to 3/4" water meter line?

Users who are viewing this thread

mrbb008

Reaction score
My water meter is 3/4" but I can't figure out the easiest way to connect 1" PEX A to it. Right now I have 1" galvanized pipe.

I looked everywhere and a water meter coupling with 3/4" threaded to 1" PEX A does not exist. Propex seems to sell water meter couplings to PEX but only for 1" or 1 1/4" NPSM water meter connections.

Option:
The closest I could think is to:
---- first connect a 3/4" water meter coupling connected to the water meter line.
(https://www.homedepot.com/p/AquaPlumb-3-4-in-MPT-Water-Meter-Coupling-7801/312650793)
---- Then a 3/4" adapter to PEX B (I couldn't find one for PEX A)
(https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBi...ass-Swivel-Adapter-Fitting-UC530LFA/202270591)
---- Then a 3/4" PEX B to 1" PEX B Brass Coupling (I couldn't find one for PEX A)
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-PXC075-100-3-4-PEX-x-1-PEX-Brass-Coupling-Lead-Free

Even though I'd be using PEX A pipe, I would have to use SS clamps to connect to the above fittings (not ideal).

I must be missing something because it can't be this complicated.

PS. What are the best stores to get PEX A supplies? It seems so much easier to get PEX B at the big box stores, sure it is much more convenient.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
1 x 3/4 brass threaded bell reducer 1 inch PEX male adapter. only way I would do it unless I wanted to come off the tailpiece and 90 down for more depth. In which case I would use a 3/4 x 1" inch 90 pointed down and nipple down to another 90 and then continue with the PEX male adapter. Don't know Santa Clara county so good gotta be a Ferguson around they sell to everyone

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
3/4 inch IPS the most common size in the USA is what he said he has should be as easy as pie. But op wants a special meter tailpiece that instead of having threads has a barb for PEX. I think we hashed over this topic with him a month ago or so .

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Whoops I think I did confuse OP with another posting , any way good luck mrbb008. the same process just verify sizes

mrbb008

Reaction score
1. What is the OD of the thread on the water meter? Use a digital caliper.

2. See https://terrylove.com/forums/index....size-building-supply-off-a-water-meter.94078/

3. You can connect PEX A to a connector used with PEX B, and use a crimp or stainless clamp.

Thanks for the link to the other post. It seems like they had a similar question.

Whoops I think I did confuse OP with another posting , any way good luck mrbb008. the same process just verify sizes

Thanks for your above recommendation with the "threaded bell reducer" - that was the keyword that I was missing in my search. I think this may be the best solution. I saw your same response on the other thread that Reach4 linked. :)

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the link to the other post. It seems like they had a similar question.

Thanks for your above recommendation with the "threaded bell reducer" - that was the keyword that I was missing in my search. I think this may be the best solution. I saw your same response on the other thread that Reach4 linked. :)

your welcome should be fairly straight foward , just keep in mind id an elevation change needs to be made you could use a reducing 90 . the other thing to concider is a tacer wire and sleeving for the pex

mrbb008

Reaction score
your welcome should be fairly straight foward , just keep in mind id an elevation change needs to be made you could use a reducing 90 . the other thing to concider is a tacer wire and sleeving for the pex

Yes, line is already 18" underground so won't need to go deeper. As for the sleeve, I was thinking 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" PVC pipe, although I worry about the ends being open. Doesn't that make it a conduit for bugs/termites/etc? Or the industry standard is to leave it open without worries?

All the PEX, fittings, copper, brass, etc have been delivered so I'm tacking this project this weekend! Just waiting for the jack hammer to dig.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, line is already 18" underground so won't need to go deeper. As for the sleeve, I was thinking 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" PVC pipe, although I worry about the ends being open. Doesn't that make it a conduit for bugs/termites/etc? Or the industry standard is to leave it open without worries?

All the PEX, fittings, copper, brass, etc have been delivered so I'm tacking this project this weekend! Just waiting for the jack hammer to dig.
Had the topic of mandatory sleeving for PEX come up before . as far as I know its a California thing and I'm uncertain of specific requirements, but for copper we often use poly sleeve just a thin sleeving comes in a roll and its usually taped tight and brought up above ground. I think its commonly unsleeved outside of ca and likely the same within CA by many but for several reasons its best to follow code even if unpermited and document (pictures for your records or to share in case of resale)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks