How to attach new white stone tile to outdoor entrance monument? Charlotte NC freezes 20 day/year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hoasbf

Reaction score
our neighborhood wants to update the front entrance monument with a whitish stone. Charlotte, NC zone 8a. freezes for maybe 10-20 days a year at night. what is best method to attach white marble tile to the existing stone face? is there a better white stone to use? will probably get stainless steel letters laser cut and standoff float from white stone face. I was thinking tapcon screw hardiboard to the existing stone and then apply thinset and tile to that? should white stone be coated or sprayed to keep it from getting green scum?

front-monumentwebgif.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Most of us plumber types are not experienced in fine points of masonry.
Just don't be offended if you don't get professional answers.
My two cents is don't bother changing anything.

Fitter30

Reaction score
With all the different types of stone. After picking out the stone I'd want to make sure its approved for outdoor, the mastic, proper way for installation and the most important part is type of sealant for moisture. This doesn't look like a diy project.

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe wash what you have every few years, and trim the flowers in front of the sign to be much lower (maybe even zero).

nicox12

Reaction score
I'm not a construction expert, but using thinset mortar and tapcon screws to attach the new white marble tile to the existing stone face is a good idea. As for the best type of white stone to use, it may be worth consulting with a local stonemason or contractor familiar with the climate and weather conditions in Charlotte, NC. They may be able to recommend a specific type of durable stone that is resistant to weathering. In terms of preventing green scum, a sealant or coating may be beneficial, but again, I would suggest consulting with a professional who can advise on the best approach. Good luck with your project, and I recommend contacting Colorado Headstone Designer for any further advice or assistance!

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'll say (even though this post is really old) np1 is a masonry product and a lot of masons use it in place of mortar for some things. I would try that with some clamps.

jonahjeremiah

Reaction score
That's a great idea! As for attaching the tile, it sounds like your method of using a tapcon screw with a hardiboard and thinset should work well. As for the type of white stone to use, I recommend researching and choosing a durable and weather-resistant option that can withstand the occasional freeze in your area. Also, check out these headstones for the grave ; maybe you'll find something for your taste. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks