How often is normal for a pressure relief valve to discharge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lvrpl

Reaction score
I recently got a new water heater installed (a 75 gallon AO Smith powervent), about two months ago. In the last 3 or so weeks, I've noticed that the pressure relief valve has discharged a few times - maybe 3 or 4 times. Each discharge is maybe a couple of pints of water, I'd guess.

Is this normal? My previous heater, a 20-year-old Lochnivar, never discharged during the 5 or so years that I've owned the house.

Thanks for any help.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
NOT normal unless your home has pressure above 80 psi. If it does, then there can be factors like a water pressure reducing valve that does not have 'bypass' built in, and in that case you need an expansion tank.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Standard wh relief valves either open at 150lbs and or 210°f. Expansion tank needs to be checked if one isn't piped into system it needs one.

Lvrpl

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the help. Is it problematic if I can't get someone here to address this for a couple of weeks? Or is this much more urgent?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the help. Is it problematic if I can't get someone here to address this for a couple of weeks? Or is this much more urgent?
Waiting 2 weeks should be fine. But I would have the relief valve replaced as it could be defectively weak.

As Fitter asked.. Was there any changes to the installation? Was there an expansion tank previously that wasn't installed now? Or was the pressure not accurately set on a new expansion tank to match static pressure? Or was or is there a Pressure Reducing Valve that has failed or not in place? All of the above can affect the water pressure when the water heater fires up and the cold water molecules expand.. that expansion needs some place to go.. and currently its out the pressure relief valve.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another possibilty is a defective or malfuntion of the TandP valve? Am I the only one who has replaced TandP on a new or even newish water heater? Its very common to have nothing else wrong, but also very common to have an illegally closed system with either a bad x tank or none at all
Its only urgent if the spilling of water bothers you

Lvrpl

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help so far.

The new heater is the same size as the old heater - 75 gallons. The old heater didn't have an expansion tank. I suppose the old heater could have had a pressure reducing valve that the service tech didn't replicate, but I don't think so. I think the setup now is the same as before, although I can't say that 100%.

I suppose the most likely culprit, given that I don't believe anything changed on the setup, is the t&p valve?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Like I said it might be the t and p try releasing pressure several times it might clear debris

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks