How long of a heating loop

Users who are viewing this thread

Travreim1

Reaction score
I’m building my personal home and have 3-1000ft rolls of Pex B 5/8 I/s diameter. My basement is 2500sqft. Can I get away without sacrificing efficiency, and performance by running 5-500ft loops, or should I run 10-250ft loops. What boilers do you recommend as well as pumps?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I’m building my personal home and have 3-1000ft rolls of Pex B 5/8 I/s diameter. My basement is 2500sqft. Can I get away without sacrificing efficiency, and performance by running 5-500ft loops, or should I run 10-250ft loops. What boilers do you recommend as well as pumps?
You'll need to pump so fast that the pipe won't hold up if you make the loops that long. They need to be 300 ft max. Shorter is better.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't try to do this diy. Get a design from someone who knows what they are doing. You can research out the wazoo, but unless you know where to research you'll get screwed.

Fitter30

Reaction score
5/8" PEX max tube length 400'. Tube layout isn't something that should be done without engineering including heat load per room, floor covering and zoning. Basement floor insulation including the perimeter and vapor barrier need to be addressed. Spending money on design is money well spent. Tubing not laid out correctly might not give you what you want. There are some online design companies.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The guy that designed mine said to try to keep the runs at a max of 200'. Run the beginning of the loop at the outside perimeter while it's at its hottest.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks