How long does your RO membrane last?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ifican

Reaction score
Have an RO i am not unhappy with at all, but the membrane replacement costs i am not excited about though on a yearly costs basis is really not bad. Membrane cost as of today is 155, the one i am currently on is on its 4th year and going strong i am expecting it to go at least to year 5 maybe more. Just wondering for others how long membranes are lasting and cost of replacement. Not opposed to swapping blocks but it has to be cost effective of course :).

Bannerman

Reaction score
I replace my RO membrane approx every 3 years and with a chlorinated supply, I replace the carbon and sediment cartridges every 6 months. My membrane typically costs ~$55 (Canadian $) as I perform the work myself.

You may wish to obtain a TDS meter to periodically compare the TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) in the water both before and after the RO unit. As the RO membrane will reduce TDS, a meter can provide a measurable means to determine how well the membrane continues to perform and when replacement should occur.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
1-5 years is typical. I don't recommend letting them go more than 5 years for sanitary reasons. What RO do you have?

Ifican

Reaction score
I do have a tds and test every 3-6 months. The unit i have is a culligan, if i had'nt been able to find filters on amazon for half the cost of culligan direct i would have seriously already considering something else. Just wondering if its cost effective to swap out so something more universal with cheaper (cost) membrane or just maintain status quo. The only filter i cannot currently find is the membrane itself hence the retail cost but if it goes 5 years, 30 a year i dont think is unreasonable for RO water. Im thinking i have a good year left in this membrane and have started the research required to help decide, hence my ask of the group that i trust the most in this area :).

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
We stock Culligan membranes but... not sure that they are worth replacing. An RO should be changed every 10 years due to the high potential for leaks over time as the O-rings and other components wear. Send me a PM, I am sure I can find someone who will sell you the replacement membrane at a reasonable price.

Old

Reaction score
I just typed "culligan ac-30 membrane" (I am assuming you have a ac-30 system) into google and found several places selling generic culligan compatible filters and membranes. For example a seller on amazon has the filters and membrane as a set for $45.

Ifican

Reaction score
Its interesting because ac does stand for aqua-cleer but it is not the "aqua-cleer" model. Wish it was that easy but block takes EZ line filters which are self contained and dual nipple on the top. This is the only membrane i have been able to fine, not exact match to what i currently have but it will work. I do however appreciate the effort.

https://www.amazon.com/Culligan-US-...8&qid=1526792121&sr=8-1&keywords=culligan+rom

Old

Reaction score
I see, sorry I should not have assumed.

I assumed yours looked like this (most common in my area):
AC30_web.jpg.aspx

Ifican

Reaction score
Seriously no worries i did appreciate the effort. For some reason the other pic did not show up here but showed in my email update. Yes the system i have is the one with aqua-cleer name on the filters. Those can only be had from culligan direct, there are a few aftermarket and other culligan ez style filters that work just not that exact model.

Old

Reaction score
Maybe by the time you need a new membrane a generic version will be available. If not I would just replace the system. $110+ is kind of outrageous. I imagine filters are not cheap either.
Good luck!

Ifican

Reaction score
I am crunching the numbers and have a couple other filters to test. Can find aftermarket basic carbon for 20 for two. Name brand for 25 and from culligan direct they are 35. Not horrible but will add up, the big cost is the membrane. I want to test the 110 to see how well it works but am also looking at other options. I do look at long run costs so the overall numbers will speak the truth. Just may take a few more years to flesh it all out :).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks