How do you wire a new 2 wire submersible pump ?

Users who are viewing this thread

RonL1

Reaction score
Thinking ahead to when my current pump fails, I am wondering about wiring the new one. Current pump is a 220 / 2 wire , no ground ... just 2 wires going down the hole. I'm pretty sure all new pumps have 3 wires, 2 hots and a ground. What do I do with the ground wire ? Just run it up the well and cap it off so maybe later it can be continued into the house. Or just cap it off at the pump. The pump is your basic pressure switch on/off type. No other controllers. I would like to get a new myers predator pump to have on hand for when that day comes, but storage I'm being told is a problem and it would dry out and be worthless. No one carries them near me so it wouldneed to be ordered. I'll probably be stuck going to lowes or HD or tractor supply to pick something up there...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
As you can see the ground is not important to the operation of the pump. It has been working that way for decades. Some engineer decided it wasn't safe without a ground wire, so no they are required. I can't really tell you to just leave it dead ended and don't worry about it, but that is up to you. House probably won't pass an inspection without one if you are planning on selling.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
What do I do with the ground wire ? Just run it up the well and cap it off so maybe later it can be continued into the house. Or just cap it off at the pump.
Certainly of those two options, the former is the better choice.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks