How can I install a P trap in this shower drain? Contractor installed a shower drain installed with no P trap

Users who are viewing this thread

trhoppe

Reaction score
We had a contractor screw up our shower drain. I didn't inspect his work before he closed up shop on the shower itself, and I trusted him as he's done other good work before. Now we have a fully tiled shower and this problem of no P trap.

Need to figure out how to fix this, considering I basically don't really have good access. I was able to cut a 12x16 or so hole in the floor NEXT to the shower, and can kind of reach in there, but barely. I definitely can't reach all the way to the drain in order to remove that rubber 90 degree fitting and install a P trap there.

Is there a good way I can somehow install a functioning P trap in this setup?

This is the picture of the actual shower drain coming down from above. That rubber 90 degree fitting that disappears into the subfloor is installed on the linear drain itself.

IMG_9430.jpeg

This is a picture slightly further downstream. Here you can see the drain the background. In the foreground is the vent and I'm taking this picture from right next to the toilet, where I was able to cut a hole in the floor.

IMG_9431.jpeg

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
That’s pretty bad.

In addition to what has already been mentioned:

In the first pic, what is hanging off the pipe? It looks like he use tar, black silicone, acoustic seal or some other nonsense to connect the ABS.

I would not expect a pro to bury SharkBites in a wall.

100% go after the contractor.

Last edited:

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Mayme something as a short term bandaid fix, until you you can get it fixed properly.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Well … google tells me there is black ABS cement …. Still I have never seen cement stalactites tho … makes me think they used something else.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its ABS glue forget about that just a little sloppy on the glue the least of your worries. The structure and improper DWV system is the important stuff looks like a triple joist thats severly notched

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks