Hot Water recirculation - dedicated return line

Users who are viewing this thread

Seeprosee

Reaction score
Hello - I've decided to install a recirculation pump after years of waiting nearly a minute for hot water to reach the master bathroom. I've purchased everything I need and was looking over our new 75-gallon Bradford-White water heater for placement of the dedicated return line. The drain line seems to be the most mentioned location, based upon my on-line research, for returning the cool water, but I noticed the new tank also has a space heating send and return. The space heating return is in a better location for a cleaner, easier plumbing install of the return line, but there's a sticker just above the return that states "For Space Heating return ONLY"...so I tend to take stickers like that seriously (see attachment). The manual doesn't give any details. My question is - can I plumb to the Space Heating return line instead of the drain valve without causing problems? It would seem to me that the water would going to the same place as if I used the Tank Drain input. Thanks for any input on this...

IMG_3282.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Would need to check data on your WH.
Some WH products have a space heating loop which consists of a coil inside the tank. Guessing likely you are better off with using the drain and adding a Tee

In fact, BW used to make them with full (as is UPC required) double wall heat exchanger coil. But I believe they quit those.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
See manual for details if you choose. I'd ignore it go into the drain at bottom

Last edited by a moderator:

Seeprosee

Reaction score
Thanks for the input - the possibility of a coil was definitely a concern. I'll be Tee-ing the drain. Thanks again!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have a tempering valve, some of them have a port for recirculation.

If you decide to use the drain port, consider changing the valve to a full-port ball valve...it will make draining and clearing out any sediment easier.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have a tempering valve, some of them have a port for recirculation.

If you decide to use the drain port, consider changing the valve to a full-port ball valve...it will make draining and clearing out any sediment easier.
yea good idea just did that to my personal water heater I guess I should know how to post pics I put new anode and ball valve flushed it real good .

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
yea good idea just did that to my personal water heater I guess I should know how to post pics I put new anode and ball valve flushed it real good .
I bought a articulated anode hot water nipple for a 5 y.o. tank WH the other week.
Pulled the anode (had to bend it to get it out, so ruined) and it was flawless except for fluffy mineral precipitate...I mean full diameter and solid ! How was your anode JHY?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I bought a articulated anode hot water nipple for a 5 y.o. tank WH the other week.
Pulled the anode (had to bend it to get it out, so ruined) and it was flawless except for fluffy mineral precipitate...I mean full diameter and solid ! How was your anode JHY?
Mine wasn't too bad , kind of experimental to see if its worth it just shy of 5 years. no regret as it was about half gone. figured maybe a bit of preventive might stretch me out a few years if lucky.

Onokai

Reaction score
I used the drain at bottom of tank. Its works better than that connection you show

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks