Hot water insufficient

Users who are viewing this thread

123peanut

Reaction score
My son is having a problem getting enough hot water. He has an older gas water heater that had been working fine until a couple of weeks ago, could not get enough hot water without turning the temperature control all the way up. I'm thinking it may be the thermocouple ? I had a similar problem a few years ago but it turned out to be a leak in the hot water line under the slab. I have also had the thermocouple problem as well.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It's not a thermocouple...

It could be another slab leak is the water heater running almost constantly even when hot water is not being used?

it could be a bad t-stat as well

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What is the temperature of the water when first used? Is this electric or gas? If it starts out okay and quickly cools off, it could be cross-over - the dip tube could be broken up and essentially no-existent. How old is the unit?

123peanut

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. Whatever the problem was, it has stabilized and he does not want to pay someone at this point to inspect it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks