Horizontal Wye Connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Salguod

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in the middle of a master bath remodel and I'm swapping my tub and shower. I've got my demo done and I now need to update my tub & shower DWV pipes.

Here's the layout. Blue is old pipes, orange is the new I'm installing:

tub and shower drain plan.jpg

My question is about the connection at the red circle. There's an existing 2" loop that comes from the old shower, close to the wall for a vent and then connected to the main drain line. I want to bring my new shower drain over and connect to it.

At that connection, can I connect horizontally or do I need to come in from above? My plan is to use a combo wye & 1/8 bend like below and lay it on its side:

p501-020.jpg

tub-and-shower-drain-plan-2.jpg

Is that acceptable or do I need the inlet facing upward?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's the layout. Blue is old pipes, orange is the new I'm installing:
At the top of the picture you have an existing 1.5" dry vent, and it appears you are reusing it to dry vent your tub. If you want to do that, the dry vent takeoff has to be above the drain centerline, meaning somewhat upwards. And the dry vent slope has to stay at least 45 degrees above level until above the tub flood rim. I.e. no horizontal dry vents under the floor. I think this explains why the old shower vent was not entirely within the wall.

However, the IPC would let you eliminate that dry vent and rely on your lav for wet venting the shower and tub. Although not shown in your picture, presumably each lav has a dry vent connection at the elevation of its trap, as required. If so, then for wet venting you can just connect your fixtures one at a time to the 3" drain line (which I understand starts at the WC, runs from right to left as the horizontal blue line, and then turn towards the bottom of the picture). That is, the new shower drain could connect between the two lavs, and the new tub drain could just run straight to the right to the 3" drain.

This is based on the layout of piping you've drawn in, and that at the point where the drain is labeled "out to septic" it is only carrying bathroom fixtures, i.e. that there isn't some undocumented connection of a laundry or kitchen drain upstream of that point.
Cheers, Wayne

Salguod

Reaction score
The dry vent exits the 2" below the floor vertically. I was able to keep that vertical and add two 60 degree bends and reconnect it within the wall.

Both lavs on the opposite wall have vents. This is before shifting them to the left, as shown in orange:
sink drain plan 2.jpg

The pipe to the septic does pick up pipes from another bath before exiting the foundation, but no kitchen or laundry pipes.

I did get all the drains connected last weekend. Next to the supply lines.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks