High pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Highpressureguy

Reaction score
The pressure to my house from tank is very high, or is it? I'm thinking the gauge is either wrong or the pressure switch is bad. I know there is an adjustment on the switch but why would it change by itself? It used to be around 60psi.
IMG_0377.jpg
IMG_0376.jpg

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I see a PRV there so unlikely that is a true pressure reading. Get a pressure gauge with garden hose thread and attach it to the drain valve to get a second opinion. Replace the existing gauge but it is still good to have a second opinion.

Reactions: RIR

Reach4

Reaction score
Hook a garden hose thread pressure gauge to one of those drain valves, and read the pressure.

Your system is not the usual system. You have a check valve in a place that I would not expect. You appear to have a UV light sanitizer, but those should always be preceded by a 5 micron filter so that bacteria don't have particles that shield bacteria from the light. So that thing with the flex power cable may not be a UV system. I don't recognize the black piping. Is that system really in New Hampshire? But parts of it certainly do look like USA.

I suspect you have some kind of proportional drive system, and the thing with the uncovered wires is a pressure sensor/transducer.

Is the flow from the black pipe up, thru the check valve, to the pressure tank? At first I was suspecting the other way.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
and the thing with the uncovered wires is a pressure sensor/transducer.
My guess is that is a flow sensor for the presumed UV light the black signal wire goes to. If so, it is in the wrong place as water leaving the tank would trigger the light.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Some folks put a ball valve before the gauge so it only sees the pressure when you open the valve. I personally would just go with a portable gauge with GHT and only connect it when I want to see the pressure.

Do note that pressure gauges are extremely prone to damage from freezing, so if there is ever a chance of it freezing, remove it and store it in a warm place when not looking at it.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The check valve needs to stay where it is. This is not a submersible pump. It is one of those R2D2 looking variable speed booster pumps. One of the many problems with variable speed pumps is over pressurization. With such a small tank, when the variable speed controller doesn't slow the pump down quick enough the pressure will spike. I doubt that gauge froze, so a pressure spike or many of them is probably what pegged the gauge. When you get tired of having problems, a normal jet pump with a PK1A will deliver strong constant pressure to the house without problems and make the system last several times longer than normal.

Make sure the pressure relief valve is good and set for about 75 PSI.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks