Users who are viewing this thread

Beckadawn

Reaction score
I am set to close on a house the end of this month but the well water is creating a bit of a problem and I'm trying to figure out how much it will cost and how to remedy it. I'm also interested in brand suggestions.

TDS: 850ppm
Hardness: 31 gpg
Iron: .8 ppm
Manganese: 0
pH: 5.6
Nitrites/Nitrates: 0
Bacteria: Negative
E. Coli: Negative
Lead: Negative
Pesticides: Negative

Family Size: 2
Bathroom(s): 1

I've been told I will need an acid neutralizer to raise the pH and a softener to treat the hardness. I've had recommendations to place the neutralizer before and after the softener, so I am not sure which option makes the most sense. I have one person pushing for a Canature system and another pushing for an Alpha system. I am also within the service area of Culligan but have not priced anything with them yet. I have been researching the US Water Systems Matrixx Softener but have not actually spoken to a rep there yet.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Run away from a couple of the units you mentioned, basically knock offs of good equipment. I wont mention names but I am sure you can figure it out. Stick with a Fleck or Clack. One of the units you mentioned appears to be an Autotrol. These are excellent valves but they have a few quirks I wish they would work out. I don't see this product line getting much love or development money but who knows what the future holds for it. It is a flapper disc design, highly reliable especially in sandy water, but if you have sandy water install a sediment filter and go to a Fleck or clack Piston design. With your high hardness and TDS, a calcite filter should work just fine, you don't need to get the pH above 7, you just need to get it higher than it currently is in most applications. I don't want to write a tome, so I will simply say you are trying to get the water out of a corrosive state, pH is only a part of that equation.

Beckadawn

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply! Can you help me figure out how many grains the unit should be? I read that it was best to get a little larger than you need so you use less salt but too big makes it inefficient. Based on everything, how many grains would you recommend?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I would recommend a 1.5 ft3 softener minimum, if you plan on any additional people in the house, the next size up would be even better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks