Help with Autotrol 255 valve issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason Ryan

Reaction score
Hi all,

My mother-in-law's water softener is acting up. It has an older Autotrol 255 valve. Occasionally it appears that the dial that shows the cycle (start, back wash, rinse, et) it is getting stuck between "treated water" and "start". So it seems like a valve is like half way open and the water flow through the house is really low and you can hear the noise as the low flow goes through the softener.

If I use the screw driver to twist the cam manually just a hair, it seems like it clicks in place and everything is good again. It doesn't happen after every regen cycle, just occasionally.

I ordered a replacement valve disk kit since the existing ones have never been replaced and they look a little gritty. I really just guessing though and not sure if there is some other problem with the unit. Hopefully someone here might have some recommendations! Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
I would consider lubing the gears. I bought some
Molykote EM-30L Grease NLGI, used on clock gears.
not silicone: Poly--olefin

I got a small container repackaged from a big container via Ebay.

The other thing to try could be to replace the motor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks