Help! Puzzled...17.5 yr old Takagi T-K2 shut off, leaking water, shut pipes off and still leaking????

Users who are viewing this thread

JnTShow

Reaction score
So, this is probably a coincidence, but we had a large wall mirror replaced in our hallway where the display is mounted. The mirror guy removed the display and since then it shuts off at times and we were able to get it to go back on, by unplugging it and plugging it back in. Prob a coincidence...the unit (Takagi T-K2) is 17.5 yrs old.

The unit just shuts off, no error codes. Now it wont turn on anymore as of this am (5/23/22). Went under the house and saw that it is leaking. Can't see the water leaking from the top of the heat exchanger, but it is pooling at the bottom of it and from there it runs down from the rest of the unit.

I'm puzzled because my husband said he unplugged the power, shut off the hot and cold water inline valve and shut the propane off around noon today, It's now 6pm and it is still leaking as if all was still on. How can that be? is there another water source, a water bypass or installed incorrectly?

I'll attach a video if I can.

Most likely replacing it, but just curious.

We use the hot water for our stove top, dishwasher, showers, and laundry only. Our heat is all electric (heat strip).

The pic with the red circle is where the water has "pooled".

TY so much for any input :)

Attachments

• IMG_0245 2 Small.jpeg
    IMG_0245 2 Small.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 138
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-23 .png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-23 .png
    416.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 6.09.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 6.09.43 PM.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 134

Fitter30

Reaction score
A valve isn't closing all the way or theres a return line that needs to be valved off. Valves that aren't exercised ( open and closed) at least once a year tend to not close 100%

JnTShow

Reaction score
A valve isn't closing all the way or theres a return line that needs to be valved off. Valves that aren't exercised ( open and closed) at least once a year tend to not close 100%
Ahhh, makes sense...I don't think any maintenance was done to it in the past 17.5 yrs except maybe 2x...Now I know to make sure my husband takes care of the new one that will be installed by my dad tomorrow. :).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks