Help Purchasing Filtering Equipment For New Well / House

Users who are viewing this thread

aumfc

Reaction score
Hi everyone. We are building a new house and have the well dug with the pump in place.

Well is 400' deep and we are getting about 5gpm. Water surface is down about 40'.

I took samples to two different local places. The only measurement that was noticeably different was the iron. One place had it at 3ppm and another at 0.07ppm. The 0.07ppm guy is going to get a fresher sample to double-check. The samples were taken at the exact same time after running the water 30 minutes or so, but the higher sample was tested a couple days before the lower sample. Until I get confirmation I'm going to assume I'll need an iron filter.

Iron 3.0 / 0.07
6.5pH
Hardness 2gpg
TDS - 57 / 71ppm

The guy that measured 3ppm iron said all we needed is an iron filter and a depth filter. I asked him to price a whole house RO system, as well, just to see what it would cost to have good drinking water out of the tap. The other guy won't have recommendations until after the retest.

He uses Hellenbrand and the prices he came back with seem high based on a couple of Google searches. Depth filter $2k, iron filter $3k, and RO system $13.5k, none of which includes installation.

My main question is, could I purchase less expansive filters/systems with similar results? Which filters/systems do you all recommend? And also, what do I really need if I 1) just want basic tap water quality or 2) want good filtered drinking water? Does anyone have good recommendations for brands or specific filters/systems?

Thank you,
Jason

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I always like to treat the water in the well if possible. I would contact the guy in Georgia who makes the Sulfur Eliminator. May be a much easier and less expensive alternative for you.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could taste the difference between 0.07 and even 0.30 ppm of iron. 0.30 is where they set the SMCL (secondary maximum contaminate level). SMCL for iron is a taste thing, and marks the point above that most people find objectionable. https://www.epa.gov/sdwa/secondary-drinking-water-standards-guidance-nuisance-chemicals

6.5 is where they draw the line for pH. If you use plastic pipe, such as PEX with plastic fittings, it is better for lower pH water than metal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks