Help programming Fleck 5800 SXT

Users who are viewing this thread

Lexd

Reaction score
I've confirmed with the seller that this should be set to t0.7. Thank you for raising my awareness about this misconfiguration! You've all been so helpful!

The water softener's remaining capacity is at a point where I can reprogram it for regeneration tonight, and I have some questions.

I was reading around the forum about db2f and I saw some threads about single and double backwash cam - I have to say I don't completely understand this part. How do I know that my system (hardware) is capable of doing double backwash?

Until I get a hardness test kit, is there any harm in leaving H at 15 as the seller configured it? Other than maybe not being too efficient.

Could you please walk me through how you determined these values? I found some formulae from the installer manual, such as: https://gyazo.com/8c4ea5b84dd8ace40d6abe4c73210421 - Do I need to verify with the seller any of these variables?

B1 = 6 ; Backwash 1 (minutes) [3...10]
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
B2 = 4 ; Backwash 2 (minutes)[3...10]
RR = 6 ; Rapid Rinse minutes [5...10]
BF = 15 ; Brine fill minutes

The controller also gives me the options to configure relay (RE, ST, ET) - do I leave them as is? Is the current setting fine?
RE = tb
ST = 91
ET = 92

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know what RE, ST, and ET are. I would guess relay, start time and end time.

If the hardness is set too high, yes you will use more salt. If it is set too low, as the count-down gets lower, you will have more hardness leak thru. That is not that bad. So waiting makes sense.

Lexd

Reaction score
I don't know what RE, ST, and ET are. I would guess relay, start time and end time.

If the hardness is set too high, yes you will use more salt. If it is set too low, as the count-down gets lower, you will have more hardness leak thru. That is not that bad. So waiting makes sense.
Thanks - yes, that's what they are based on the manual.

Could you also comment on these questions?

I was reading around the forum about db2f and I saw some threads about single and double backwash cam - I have to say I don't completely understand this part. How do I know that my system (hardware) is capable of doing double backwash?

Could you please walk me through how you determined these values? I found some formulae from the installer manual, such as: https://gyazo.com/8c4ea5b84dd8ace40d6abe4c73210421 - Do I need to verify with the seller any of these variables?

Reach4

Reaction score
1. I see no indication in the manual that there is a different cam for double backwash, as there is for the 5600sxt. I could be wrong on that.
2. No thanks. Could you tell me why you seem to be asking a particularly broad and lazy question?

Lexd

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't mean for it to be a broad and lazy question. I just don't know much about this topic at all (trying to learn more about it - the terminologies and all) and I don't know if there's a way for me to figure out the variables in the formulae (for example, bed volume) or if that's something I need to confirm with the seller. I did try to search the forum, as you can see with my question about the single/double backwash cam. I just want to understand what I'm doing with the configs. Apologies if it comes across differently.

Lexd

Reaction score
I really just want to understand the recommended backwash durations (B1 = 6, B2 = 4) to make sure it works with the hardware that we actually have (which might not be a standard system based on how unreliable the seller has been). Not sure why that's an unreasonable question to ask?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Double backwash, will provide the greatest benefit when regeneration is performed using less than 6 lbs salt per cubic foot of resin. When <6 lbs/ft3 is chosen, the resin with least regenerated capacity will be located near the bottom of the tank so the most significant hardness removal will occur in the upper section of resin, with the lower section providing limited hardness removal. This will then over time, result in greater hardness leakage through the resin bed.

By performing a 2nd BW, the resin with the least regenerated capacity will be redistributed throughout the tank so hardness removal will occur more consistantly through the height of the entire resin column. Although hardness leakage will still remain greater than when a greater quantity of salt is utilized, hardness leakage will be lower compared to 1X BW since hardness removal will take place through the entire height of the resin column.

Since you plan to utilize >6 lbs/ft3, then the benefit of 2X BW will be less, and the benefit will be even less when 8 lbs/ft3 is chosen.

Lexd

Reaction score
Thanks Bannerman. For the next regen, I'll leave it at df1b then. C=36.0 and BF=32 is going to put me at 8 lbs/ft3 so that's what I'll set for today. Does this make sense?

DF = GAL
VT = 5800
RF = df1b
CT = Fd
C = 36
H = 15
RC = 240
DO = 30
RT = 2:00
BW = 8
BD = 60
RR = 6
BF = 32
FM = t0.7
RE = tb
ST = 91
ET = 92

Bannerman

Reaction score
Back washing the resin is beneficial for the following reasons:

1) To eliminate sediment and other debris that entered the resin from the incoming water supply.
2) To loosen, lift and expand the resin so the capacity restoring salt brine that will enter during the brine draw cycle, will have more complete contact with the resin granules.
3) To reclassify (redistribute) the resin granules within the tank which will eliminate flow channels formed through the resin bed during regular soft water use. Since the resin granules along those channels (flow pathways) will have greater capacity depleted compared to the granules where the flow rate is less, redistribution will help to ensure even use and wear of all of the resin granules over the resin's lifespan.
4) To eliminate worn and undersized resin granules which over time, will usually cause flow restriction issues through the resin bed.

Because the resin will remain loose and expanded from the 1st BW cycle, a 2nd BW usually does not need to be as long as the 1st as the 2nd is to simply once again, redistribute the already loose resin granules within the tank.

Each BW and Rapid Rinse cycle will be flowing at the DLFC rate which for your 10" diameter media tank should be 2.4 GPM. By eliminating an unnecessary BW cycle and reducing RR to a minimal duration, will result in a significant reduction in water use over the course of each year.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Your Capacity setting is correct.

Since your BLFC rate is 0.125 GPM, then a 32 minute BF setting will add the 4-gallons into the Brine tank needed to dissolve 12 lbs salt to restore 36K grains capacity each cycle.

Lexd

Reaction score
All right, I did it last night. Things look good this morning as far as I can tell. With 300 in reserve capacity, the display showed 2100 remaining capacity at the new settings.

I'll continue to monitor it every day to see if everything is good. Any tip of what I should be looking for? I'm thinking to check our water usage to make sure reserve capacity is enough.

Reach4

Reaction score
When you changed the program, the valve thinks it has remaining capacity the same as if you had regenerated right then too. Plus it assumed that the brine tank already had its full dose of brine at the new setting (so ideally you would have added water one time to compensate). Be alert for hardness leakage, and be prepared to trigger an immediate or early regen. And if you don't compensate by adding more water, then one more time after that.

Lexd

Reaction score
I did know about the remaining capacity being updated right away - I changed capacity then queued a regen. I did not know it needed more water after the capacity change. I guess I'll watch the remaining capacity and queue a regen when it gets to a certain number. The available capacity used to be ~1300 at the old settings. Now it's at 2100. Would it be correct to regen at around 800 remaining capacity?

Reach4

Reaction score
Sounds roughly right. Or just watch for hardness leakage, and regen then. Hardness leakage for a day or two is not a big deal for most purposes.

Lexd

Reaction score
Thanks. Will regen around 800 or earlier if the water feels hard.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks