Help! My delta rough in got corroded and it won't supply hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

Karen83

Reaction score
We built a new house. The plumber did not put the plugs in any of our Delta rough in valves for the tub/showers. The well shock was done which contains heavy amounts of chlorine...this project has taken a while and by the time we opened up the valves to work on the bathroom finish plumbing (our hired plumbers were no longer working for us) we saw that the rough in valve was corroded from the water sitting in it, due to the plug not being inserted to protect it from water sitting in there. We looked up how to clean it and used vinegar and baking soda. Hoping that would be ok, we put the cartridge in and put the faucets together. It felt pretty smooth inside although not like a new one, which feels like glass. We put grease on the o-rings. None of our tub faucets will provide hot water...it gets warm...but not hot. Could it be that the corrosion ruined the ports where to o-rings sit? I certainly hope not because that will require us cutting into all of the walls for the three bathrooms. Another thing that is puzzling is that when we shut off the water lines and turn only the hot line on and turn on the tub faucet, no water comes out. What is going on? This new house has been a living nightmare.

Karen83

Reaction score
Update: It seems as though the water is mixing in the valve. We have an on demand hot water heater and the inlet water started getting warmer as we ran water and the water coming from the faucet got cooler.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
What brand and model are the faucets. I assume all the sink faucets are working oK?

Chlorine is an oxidizer and sitting in the cartridge may have damaged the thermostatic properties of the cartridge. The brass valve bodies may have tarnished a bit but it should not have done any damage. You did right cleaning things up with vinegar but since it didn't seem to have helped much, I would replace all the tub cartridges with new ones. After removing the cartridge, slightly open the shut off valve to flush out anything debris left behind.

Many tub/shower faucets have a MAX hot temperature limiter with a stop. This is just a simple version. Check yours if there is one.

1674231372681.png

Last edited:

Karen83

Reaction score
Yes the sink faucets were ok. We cleaned the brass again, dried everything up and put the valve insert in. It seems to be ok. I think also there was an issue with our recirculation line for the on demand heater. Hopefully by installing a check valve we will have resolved that issue too. All fixtures and rough ins are Delta.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks