Heat trap on new Rheem hybrid water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Timmed

Reaction score
Hi all - Just purchased a new Rheem hybrid electric hot water heater. It's unclear to me whether the factory installed nipples are heat trap nipples, or just an inlet pipe. It sorta looks like a heat trap, but its installed horizontally, which makes me wonder. The installation guide also mentioned creating a loop in the cold water inlet pipe to act as a heat trap.

Can anyone tell me by looking at these pics? I guess I could create a loop on the inlet pipe just to be on the safe side.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
2023-01-31 17.15.19.jpg
2023-02-01 11.14.39.jpg
2023-02-01 11.14.54.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think you would look directly into the hole to see that. Is there a clear shot, or is there something that would stop a gentle 1/2 inch dowel from entering the tank? I am betting on heat trap.

Timmed

Reaction score
I would think you would look directly into the hole to see that. Is there a clear shot, or is there something that would stop a gentle 1/2 inch dowel from entering the tank? I am betting on heat trap.
Thanks for the tip, Reach4. The dowel appears to go right through the top nipple (hot water outlet), but has slightly less clearance on the cold water inlet. It still goes in a good 8 inches or so, which makes me think it's just a diffuser.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look into the nipple. If you don't see anything but darkness is not a special heat trap nipple.

Reach4

Reaction score
It would be a dielectric nipple. Maybe you should use an external heat trap. See if your manual says something about that. An external heat trap is a pipe path that goes both up and down.

Timmed

Reaction score
Thanks all. Found out those nipples are dielectric only, and manufacturer suggests piping a heat trap, so that's the route I'm going.

Glocklt4

Reaction score
Ugh, not happy to see these nipple pictures. I have a replacement Rheem hybrid being delivered on Monday. These "dielectric" nipples are NOT DESIGNED WELL. See these threads about the corrosion you can expect because the plastic stops before the end of the pipe and does not expand out to cover the end of the pipe.

CTho

Reaction score
My new Rheem hybrid looks like this, so maybe they have finally fixed the galvanic isolation / corrosion prevention, at least on the hot. I can’t see the cold without removing the automatic shutoff valve, which transitions to brass.
IMG_7760.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks