Have you ever ProPressed soft copper?

Users who are viewing this thread

BC_Plumber

Reaction score
I ProPressed a 3/4" soft copper line today and I'm wondering if you have any experience with pressing soft copper as well?

Before I did I checked with my wholesaler, and googled it, and Viega ProPress fittings are rated for 0.5" - 1.25" soft copper.

Everything went fine, the ProPress fitting held and that's all well and fine.

But what gave me a little pause for concern was I was tightening a nipple into the valve above the ProPress fitting and my back up wrench came off for a sec and the ProPress fitting moved fairly easily, as in it rotated a little bit but it felt quite easy to do. Of course I didn't do it again to test it out, and again everything held fine and there was no issues but is this normal for soft copper pressing?

I know when I press a Type L fitting it doesn't ever want to move and I'd have to use a lot of force to get it to rotate a little.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I ProPressed a 3/4" soft copper line today and I'm wondering if you have any experience with pressing soft copper as well?

Before I did I checked with my wholesaler, and googled it, and Viega ProPress fittings are rated for 0.5" - 1.25" soft copper.

Everything went fine, the ProPress fitting held and that's all well and fine.

But what gave me a little pause for concern was I was tightening a nipple into the valve above the ProPress fitting and my back up wrench came off for a sec and the ProPress fitting moved fairly easily, as in it rotated a little bit but it felt quite easy to do. Of course I didn't do it again to test it out, and again everything held fine and there was no issues but is this normal for soft copper pressing?

I know when I press a Type L fitting it doesn't ever want to move and I'd have to use a lot of force to get it to rotate a little.
I would be worried if it was someone else's house

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have pressed soft copper it's fine. I have also rotated and broke a pro press connection. I would press it again and see if it snugs up. If it doesn't you might be better starting over. It's hard to say that a pro press fitting that isn't leaking now, but it's easily movable, won't leak in the near future. Although that hasn't actually happened to me. I have had perfectly pressed fittings leak here and there. They must have been faulty somehow because we cut them apart and couldn't find anything wrong.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have pressed soft copper it's fine. I have also rotated and broke a pro press connection. I would press it again and see if it snugs up. If it doesn't you might be better starting over. It's hard to say that a pro press fitting that isn't leaking now, but it's easily movable, won't leak in the near future. Although that hasn't actually happened to me. I have had perfectly pressed fittings leak here and there. They must have been faulty somehow because we cut them apart and couldn't find anything wrong.
Why take the chance

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Never had one leak from turning . Of course on soft fitting will turn easier than on hard .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks