Have Sterling performa bathtub and it suggests using silicone sealant

Users who are viewing this thread

Curiousv

Reaction score
I have sterling performa bathtub and found their installation guide it says for custom walls - install furring strips and gap of 1/8" gap and use 100% silicone

https://resources.kohler.com/plumbing/sterling/pdf/1485064-2.pdfSo I am making sure ..we use furring strips of 1/8" to leave the gap there and than use silicone to fill the gap?
also attached a screenshot for custom walls(i.e not using their walls)

Also furring strips are placed on top of flange(just above the lip) or just where the bottom of flange starts?

as per my understanding acco to their pic - it says 1/8" gap is to be between wallboard and bottom of flange

Also I have heard silicone over the time is not a good sealant and it will leak from there?
@Terry @wwhitney

Bathtub.png

Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
No sealant on bottom of wall board. Sealant only on final wall material.
Silicone (esp. with mold block) is the highest performance. Latex is much easier to remove and replace but certainly won't have the longevity.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks