Goulds J05N pump and well problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Mustang46

Reaction score
Hello I’m new to the forums. I have a 80 foot well with a goulds J05N from 1990, 2 hose system with injector and foot valve. 1 1/4 line and 1 inch line. The injector and foot valve is about 2 years old. When we changed the injector we also ran new poly hoses. The system worked fine last year. It’s a Summer house so it doesn’t run much. The problem is the pump will not build up enough pressure to kick the pressure switch off. With the valves closed to the tank and the house. The gauge only reads 15-20psi and when I shut the pump off it instantly drops to 0. But when I take the gauge off the top the water is still primed and up to the top of the pump. If I run the pump with the gauge off the water rushed out of the top.
I rebuilt the pump today and still have the same problem. I replaced the diaphragm, guidevein, impeller, spring seal.

I even pulled the well and cleaned out the injector and foot valve. Wasn’t even that dirty or clogged. There was a small piece of flake in the nozzel that unscrews out but I cleaned it out thinking that was the problem. All the poly lines are connected to plastic barb fitting with two stainless hose clamps on each barb making sure they were tight!

After all that I still have the same problems. My question is could it be the pump not strong enough to pump up? But then why would it pump to 15/20psi and instantly drop to zero when I shut the pump off. I don’t know if it’s the pump, the injector, the foot valve or maybe a hole in one of the lines? I did unbolt the well seal and listen for leaks but I see or hear anything leaking or spraying. I’m not sure how to pressure test the lines. Would that be the next thing to do? Would I do that with a air compressor or a vacuum pump ?
Any ideas for me? I was pretty bummed out after rebuilding the pump and cleaning the injector still encountering the same problem before I even tackled it.

Please any help would be great! I appreciate it!

Last edited:

Mustang46

Reaction score
No… not sure what you mean… I didn’t know there were any other adjustments besides the pressure switch

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With a deep well jet pump you need a back pressure valve on the discharge of the pump. The back pressure valve must be closed enough to send ample water down the drive pipe so the jet at the bottom can send more pressure up.

Mustang46

Reaction score
Never had one. This system has been working fine since the 50’s since it was drilled. The pump is from 1990. Has been working fine till 2 years ago. It’s either the ejector or the pump.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks