Gate valves leaking due to solder/tinning flux

Users who are viewing this thread

Bass

Reaction score
I just built an outdoor shower using gate valves to control the flow at each point (hot/cold/shower head/foot hose) and they all seem to have a very slight leak. I think the trouble with the deal is that some solder or tinning flux must have gotten into the area where the gate sits keeping it from fully closing. Any advice on how to fix this? Do I need to replace them all?

thanks!
B

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
assuming leak means it dosent fully shut water off. in which case generaly valve is bad. poor quality? inexperianced hands often overheat, best to solder on an open valve. its a bit of a risk most valves at big box store, not that supply houses dont ever sell junk.
maybe something serviceable like a globe that has a washer for easy changing

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gate valves are famous for leaking a bit. They are meant to normally be in the wide open position and closed for maintainence of the system. If you are using the valves to shut off the water you want something with a washer, a globe valve. A ball valve would also work but it would be harder to adjust the temperature. If you switch to globe valves there are a couple things to know: (1) they are directional, you want to install them so that when shut there is no pressure on the packing, (2) they need to be in the open position when you solder so the washer won't melt.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
2nd what MrTee said. Globe valves are intended for throttling. Gate valves are not.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Globe valves can control flow. You need globe valves for what you want.
The difference between globe valve and gate valve is in the internal construction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks