Gas water heater exhaust/ dryer exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jdavisson41

Reaction score
Thanks in advance.

So, I have been trying to find the minimum distance between a dryer exhaust, a bathroom exhaust fan and the exhaust for my gas water heater. My gas water heater is a power vent. Haven't had much luck finding these clearances, assuming there is one between these exhausts.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Bath exhaust should have a damper on the fan unit at the unit so confirm it works. (hey, my son lives in Spokane!)
There are not limits on exhaust spacing from each other except environmental (bath and kitchen) exhaust must be 3' from openable windows. Dryer vents 5' from outdoor A/C or heat pump condenser units (lint is the reason).
WH vent is what we call "forced vent" and only have limits from windows, air intakes and combustibles.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Both are exhausts so there shouldn't need to be any clearances per se. You don't want to exhaust next to air intakes or opening windows or the gas meter. The installation manual for the water heater will have a diagram with all the pertenant clearances for different scenarios.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks