Garbage disposal whining noise shuts off

Users who are viewing this thread

NoobCali

Reaction score
I’m at the garbage disposal repair or replace stage of my plumbing work. I really need some guidance on how to approach this correctly if possible but 1) I don’t have much experience in plumbing at all 2) if it’s beyond my means to see what I can learn here and possibly try.

This is the garbage disposal kitchen sink. It doesn’t power up at all, makes a whining noise and immediately the reset button on the bottom is set off and turns off. I don’t know what to take apart to see if it’s clogged? How hard would it be to take the whole thing out and replace it myself?
B9EE4364-D8B1-45E4-869C-98F23B5B3312.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
What brand is it?

See if there is something that accepts an Allen wrench on the bottom. The purpose is to rotate that cutter assembly manually in case something is jammed.

Unplug the unit before sticking your hand in there. I once unjammed a disposal by using a 6-point socket set and an extension into the opening up top. That was able to rotate the cutter and get things unstuck. I don't remember the socket size.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Yes, there is an Allen wrench slotted of the motor shaft at the bottom of the disposal. If you do not have one, I've used a wooden spoon from the top, levered it on to one of the cutter heads and was able to turned it. If the cuter head/motor rotates freely and it still trips, the motor is bad and the entire disposal needs to be replaced.

NoobCali

Reaction score
Yes, there is an Allen wrench slotted of the motor shaft at the bottom of the disposal. If you do not have one, I've used a wooden spoon from the top, levered it on to one of the cutter heads and was able to turned it. If the cuter head/motor rotates freely and it still trips, the motor is bad and the entire disposal needs to be replaced.
sorry by bottom do you mean the bottom of the actual disposal like where the reset button is?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
broom handle works too from the top it needs to turn its frozen sometimes you get more life out of them

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
just use the broom handle wedge in and force it to turn basicaly time for new disposal soon

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks