Franklin electric subdrive 150 controller replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Uncorked Cowgirl

Reaction score
Franklin Electric SubDrive 150 got wet from a broken pipe in the wellhouse. I'm pretty sure the controller is toast - when I flip the breaker to it, I get a mixed bag of blinking lights that do not correlate to any fault codes. It's like a disco in there.
A replacement controller is astronomically expensive as everyone seems to know on here.
Power to the controller is 240, and then to the pump is 240 (I think?). This is where I get confused.
Anyway, looking for a replacement (or troubleshooting for diyers who might not ought to diy) tips, etc.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sorry for your problem. Unfortunately, getting a VFD wet is like dropping your phone in the toilet. All the rice in the world is not going to fix it. The broken pipe was most likely from the water hammer created when those VFD's react too fast or too slow. You should have 240V going in, but measuring the voltage coming out of a VFD is not that simple.

Subdrives are expensive. You can get a different brand VFD at some place like Driveswharehouse.com. You will need one that is twice the size of the motor HP, and can be set to work up to 80hz. The subdirve uses a larger motor on a smaller HP pump, and the pump must spin at 4900 RPM or 80hz instead of the normal 3450 RPM at 60hz to pump as needed. You should be able to find a drive that will convert single phase to three phase and work at 80hz for a just a few hundred bucks.

If you can't make another brand of drive work, you will be forced to replace the Subdrive. That is because they use a three phase motor and the drive must convert normal single phase house current to three phase to run that motor. If/when the motor quits, or you just get tired of the problems and expense of continually replacing the Subdrive, replace the pump with a normal single phase motor and standard 3450 RPM pump. That way you can get rid of the Subdrive and replace it with a simple, inexpensive Cycle Stop Valve that will deliver strong constant pressure without all the problems of VFD.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks