Floor height and horizontal drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Virtuo0

Reaction score
I am trying to replace the flooring in washing machine closet. Roughly 3 X 3 area. Originally there was carpet under washer :rolleyes:. Hallway is all hardwood (3/4 inch). Ideally I want to install 3/4 in hardwood in the closet matching hallway. Now the challenge - there is a horizontal drain pipe coming out of wall that connects to the drain pan. This pipe is just 1/2 inch above the subfloor.

Is there anyway I can rise the drain pipe to work with 3/4 inch floor?

(updated to make it clear)

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Your post is not as clear as you thought it was. One improvement would to say what "something" is. Is "something" replacement flooring?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most ideal would be to maintain an level floor throughout and adjust the pan and drain to match. Height adjusting door transitions do exist too which might just make it simpler to raise/lower the floor level to that of the pan. But I imagine the pan would need to be removed in order to get flooring finished under that... so you have options.

Virtuo0

Reaction score
Sorry about that. Something ( still debating between vinyl , hardwood etc). Lets say I am trying to install 3/4 in hardwood matching the hallway. Now the drain pipe thats coming out of wall is just 1/2 inch above the floor.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Now the drain pipe thats coming out of wall is just 1/2 inch above the floor.
If the drain is coming from the wall... it probably goes down too.. Is there a crawl space that you can access the area underneath and perhaps lower the horizontal portion?

Or the simplest answer would be to shim up the pan with 1/2" plywood or similar material.

Virtuo0

Reaction score
If the drain is coming from the wall... it probably goes down too.. Is there a crawl space that you can access the area underneath and perhaps lower the horizontal portion?

Or the simplest answer would be to shim up the pan with 1/2" plywood or similar material.
Sorry, I am obviously terrible at explaining this. The drain pipe needs to raise becuse the 1/2 in height is from subfloor. I also dont have access to anything under the floor or inside the wall. Its a condo complex , so I can only touch things that are inside the unit.

Updated the original post to make it clear.

Reach4

Reaction score
So how about putting whatever gets the drain pan at right height under the pan? Then use new flooring, maybe even floating flooring, over a substrate, from hall up to the drain pan.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
usually we dont strap the pipe too tight to allow it to pull up some thus giving more fall and not hurting a thing.
worst case senario make hole in subfloor do what ya gotta do?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks