Flood prevention

Users who are viewing this thread

Bernard Dan

Reaction score
I own a Fleck 5600 head coupled with an old Culligan Medallist salt container.
Somehow the water does not flow into the salt container, never did ever since the installation of the head.
The head delivers the water, I checked, but the floater and pipe that leads the water to the bottom of the salt container just blocks it. I couldn't find the problem.
So I have 2 questions:
1- What can I do to repair that pipe and let water in?
2- If I wanted to replace the salt container altogether do I need one with a floater to prevent floods? Or does the Fleck 5600 have some kind of protection to prevent floods? I am asking because nowadays salt containers with floaters are very rare

Bannerman

Reaction score
The safety float and valve within the brine tank is a flood prevention device. A Fleck 5600 will control the programmed quantity of water to enter the brine tank as determined by the salt setting.

The safety float should be raised sufficiently above the intended brine level so it will not float and shutoff incoming flow unless there is a malfunction or an electrical power outage while Brine Fill is taking place.

Suggest posting a photo of your brine tank and also include an additional photo of the safety float and valve shown outside of the brine tank. Also include a photo of the 5600.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a "brine well"? That is typically a 4-inch (100 mm) tube on one side of the tank, and the air check valve and safety float are in there. A removable cap blocks salt from falling down the tube. The brine well lets you look down, because it excludes the salt from that area. Often the air check and float assembly can be remove while the brine well stays in place.

If salt or other debris got put into the brine well, that could prevent the safety float from opening.

The air check valve blocks air from being sucked in once the brine is drawn.

Can you see the brine level, or measure the level with a stick?

2. Not rare here. My old softener had no safety float, but my new one has one. What harm would come if your brine tank were to overflow?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks