Flex pipe on house supply line

Users who are viewing this thread

Farmboy65

Reaction score
Somebody - not me - installed a water heater type flexible steel pipe between my house supply line shut-off and the pipe into the house. The line from the city water shut-off to my house's shut-off is intact, but this flex pipe sprung a leak (no way, right? lol). I replaced the flex pipe with another flex pipe *temporarily* to keep the supply flowing, but I'm left with a sketchy fix searching for a legitimate, durable repair option.
The line from the house is offset from the house shut-off by ~8". I'm in North TX, so we're dealing with clay soil.
I can't decide if the flex pipe was a shortcut to account for the offset between the shut-off and house line, or if it was used to allow for the expansion/contraction of the clay soil? Maybe this is common practice in 'clay state' rural plumbing where plumbing/building codes might not be followed to-the-letter?
I've already replaced the PVC coupler on the 'city-side' of my house shut-off twice in the last 6-8 years, so that has me thinking the clay's movement is wreaking havoc on these lines.
Any advice you can offer is appreciated. Thank You!!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think thats how they do Mobile Homes. you can run copper up from underground in sleeving if you choose clean work

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
What are you asking? Maybe show a picture of what your dealing with so people can share their ideas.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks