Filter housing cracked

Users who are viewing this thread

Fishhead1

Reaction score
Hello all. Our filter cartridge just started to crack for some reason. What could cause that kind of pressure build up?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have you tested your water pressure? A pressure guage with a Dead Arm will tell you what your static pressure is and also what maximum pressure is that your system sees. There are a lot of factors that can create spikes in pressure and a lot of things that can cause parts of a plumbing system to fail.

Good design and maintenance prevent a lot of problems.

Reach4

Reaction score
Plastic sitting in the sun?

Clear filter housings are normally not as rugged as opaque housings, but the transparency is useful to watch the cartridge.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You probably do not have more than 60 PSI when using a 40/60 switch. But if you have a check valve above ground it will cause water hammer spikes that can be several hundred PSI. Remove the unnecessary check valve.

Bannerman

Reaction score
I suspect your filter sump housing is made from clear plastic. Suggest replacing with a quality cartridge filter that is equipped with an opaque sump such as manufactured by Pentek.

The clear sump housings are more prone to failure as the plastic utilized is brittle compared to the plastic utilized for opaque housings.

GL77

Reaction score
As Bannerman said, it could just be age. The last time I bought a filter housing (I like to have 2 to make filter changes easier), I was advised by Pentair that under normal use, the clear units are expected to last 5 years and the opaque to last 10 years before becoming vulnerable to cracking. Unfortunately, they were out of opaque ones so I just plan to replace mine after 5 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks