Excessive Top Plate Cutouts Bracing Load Bearing Wall Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Sheenbean

Reaction score
Hi all,

Need some help with best approach to bracing a load bearing wall in-between garage and house (I'm sure its load bearing?) with what I think is excessive cutout by a contractors plumbing job when they added / modified a sink, laundry box and dwv. I don't want to get slammed by inspector or be forced to replace top plate.

My questions: Code in CA requires 16 gauge strap to pass the cutout by 6 inches on either side. I purchased the Simpson strong tie RPS18 which should do that.

1. In two sections, it is almost cut all the way through, do I put this strap on both sides?
2. What nail do I use for the strap?
3. Do I strap both top and bottom top plates? Because this whole section would be all strapping and no place to screw drywall
4. If yes to #3, do I just glue drywall / drill strap some to get screw through?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7105.jpg
    IMG_7105.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_7108.jpg
    IMG_7108.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_7106.jpg
    IMG_7106.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 281

Sheenbean

Reaction score
Your answers for the top plate are here:

On the bottom plate, between the studs it's not gravity load bearing (all the load comes down the studs), so as long as it's not a shear wall, you can leave the bottom plate severed.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks Wayne, that's what I was going off of. So if I used the image as an example, in a double stud top plate only the top stud needs to have the brace?

And I reread the section with the nail specification, its asking for 8 10d nails per side so the Simpson strong tie RPS18 with 6 per side is not per code. Any idea the correct strap to use then?

I found the SS RPS22 which has the 8 nails per side but I don't think cant fit three side by side. Can I stagger them between the top and bottom top plate?

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, when strapping a top plate to maintain continuity, only one top plate requires strapping even when there is a double top plate.

As to the choice of strap, it looks like the copper pipe notches are les than 50% of the depth of the top plate, so you don't need a structural strap for them. In which case a single RPS22 over the DWV notch would suffice. But if that's not correct, or if you want to strap them all anyway, I'd suggest an appropriate length of a coil strap, like CS16. And 8 * 4 nails total would suffice, rather than 8 * 2 * 3 nails.

BTW, the unstrapped top plate should still get nail plates over the notches.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks