Electrical box manufactured incorrectly???

Users who are viewing this thread

Arfeller

Reaction score
I bought a couple electrical boxes and when I went to install on some new construction I got very confused...

Yeah, this is supposed to be pretty simple installation I have done many times before but this box has me flummoxed. I actually think it was manufactured incorrectly. Am I missing something and this box is supposed to be used for something else? The tabs were installed on the front instead of the back of the box so I can't slide the box out to compensate for the sheetrock,

box.jpg

Arfeller

Reaction score
I bought a couple electrical boxes and when I went to install on some new construction I got very confused...

Yeah, this is supposed to be pretty simple installation I have done many times before but this box has me flummoxed. I actually think it was manufactured incorrectly. Am I missing something and this box is supposed to be used for something else? The tabs were installed on the front instead of the back of the box so I can't slide the box out to compensate for the sheetrock,

View attachment 70561

Ok, Figured it out. This box is designed to be used with the mud ring. I found the correct box with the tab on the back for normal installation. False alarm! lol.

Stuff

Reaction score
There are all kinds of different boxes. In the big box stores they get mixed up all of the time so you need to pay attention. I've even special ordered some odd ones when I had a creative idea. The one you found looks like it was made for metal studs as well.

Reach4

Reaction score
Boxes that take mud rings are nice when the wall is not finished. There are a bunch of different depth mud rings to choose from.

I did not figure out what a tab in the back might mean.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I did not figure out what a tab in the back might mean.
Tab on the back? Do you mean the tab at the ends of each bracket? That's, I believe, an 1/8" offset. You set your box so the tab is flush with the edge of the framing, and then you use a mud ring that's an 1/8" thicker than the wall finish (e.g. drywall). That way the screw heads that hold the mudring on don't interfere with the wall finish (much).

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks