Dryer Vent Placement

Users who are viewing this thread

Thomas K

Reaction score
Stacked dryer sits in the corner where the two roofs meet, back of dryer to the small gable section made up of three boards directly below that soffit vent there. Vent pipe will be solid 4" aluminum. I either have to go straight up through roof with dryer pipe, or use a wall vent somewhere on the small gable area below the soffit vent. Both vents I have are from InOvate Products, and non-restrictive.

Does anyone see anything wrong with placing the vent in the small gable area if I can make sure there is 3' of clearance between dryer vent and soffit vent? Or should I bite the bullet and run it up through the roof? If roof mounted, pipe will be around 5' in length from dryer to roof cap. If I put it in the gable area pipe will be around 2 1/2' length and easy to clean with a shop vac hose.

Thanks for any replies!

IMG_1731.JPG

Thomas K

Reaction score
Gas or electric?
Sorry, John. LG WM3700 HVA stacking electric front load washer and dryer (DLEX3700V.) I'm afraid if I put it there that moist exhaust will be sucked up that soffit vent. I think code is 3' from any air intake, and it will be pushing it. Roof cap I bought is DryerJack 477. Both cap and wall dryer cap are made by InOvate Products. We rarely have snow here.
dryr.png
dryerjack1.jpg
dryr.png

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rather than go out the wall on a second story I opted to route through the roof on one of mine. I haven't had any trouble with it yet.

Thomas K

Reaction score
Rather than go out the wall on a second story I opted to route through the roof on one of mine. I haven't had any trouble with it yet.
Looks like that's what I'm going to do as well. Since dryer is near lowest part of roof there vent pipe will only be about 5' long from dryer to roof cap. Thanks for the advice. I will post photos of project as I go.

Thomas K

Reaction score
This is what I came up with for inner pipe routing. 5' rigid aluminum vent pipe will connect to this and other end of 5' vent pipe will attach to a MagVent MV-90. If anyone sees a problem here, please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited:

Thomas K

Reaction score
This is what I came up with for inner pipe routing. 5' rigid aluminum vent pipe will connect to this and other end of 5' vent pipe will attach to a MagVent MV-90. If anyone sees a problem here, please let me know. Thanks!

IMG_2540.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2541.JPG
    IMG_2541.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 101

Reach4

Reaction score
Sorry, John. LG WM3700 HVA stacking electric front load washer and dryer (DLEX3700V.) I'm afraid if I put it there that moist exhaust will be sucked up that soffit vent. I think code is 3' from any air intake, and it will be pushing it. Roof cap I bought is DryerJack 477.
I am concerned about birds. I see https://dryerjack.com/birds-and-roof-dryer-venting says they don't have a bird problem, but I am skeptical.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks good to me. I have a roof jack type also with a screened outlet, seems to be doing well.

Last edited:

Thomas K

Reaction score
Reach 4: I will definitely have to keep a watch for birds trying to nest in it. From the design, however, I don't think even a squirrel could get in. To clean around roof vent, I will have to open the door with a pocket magnet, as I could not get my fingernail under lip of door.

John: I think I've got this down; I just wonder about how often lint builds up. I will definitely clean it at least once a year. The units will be stacked, but with a shelf like in the attached photo except my shelf will be 3/4" plywood (probably two pieces glued and screwed together) so if one unit fails I don't have to remove the entire thing. Since this is a split-level house, the back of the second-floor laundry closet is also the back of the kitchen pantry. I'm going to put a large access panel in pantry so I can get to back of units. I'll have to leave the studs uncovered in the washer/dryer side of wall where access panel is, but you can't see it anyway with W/D installed.

The only thing that bothers me a little is I drywalled pantry and I'm not sure what to make the access panel out of. It will be about 27" wide by 42" high and I'm afraid If I use 1/2" plywood for the panel, even painted, it will stick out like a sore thumb. I do not plan to border the access panel; I will just cut a hole in the drywall, smooth and paint the edges, and then maybe hinge the access door and use a magnetic catch to hold it closed. Pantry shelves will be in front of panel, screwed into 1 x 2 supports for easy removal to open access door.

I ordered the Oatey 37611 washer boxes shown in photo below, but there isn't enough space to put the water supply box up front where it could be reached in case of a leak. I doubt there will be one because I am going to use good braided stainless hoses but you never know. Last photo shows unfinished ceiling of floor directly below washer and dryer wet wall. If I could find a Pex valve setup where two inline valves were joined by one handle, I could put another access panel in ceiling for manual emergency washer shutoff. But I haven't found one yet other than in a washer box itself. And electric shutoffs are hundreds of dollars.

Attachments

• wash.jpg
    wash.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 112
  • box.jpg
    box.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2572.JPG
    IMG_2572.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I am picturing a bird approaching the warm air, and keep going against the flow.

I had a couple crispy birds in my gas dryer, and a nest in the line going outside. Changing from the dryer vents with 4 flaps instead of one flap blocked the birds. Mine were much lighter construction than yours, however.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks