Dry fitting Cellular Core ABS

Users who are viewing this thread

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Hello:

Just wondering. Can I dry-fit cellular core ABS?

I now you can not dry fit solid core PVC or ABS; however, the cellular core stuff seems to seat more deeply when sizing things up.

Thank you :)

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
1.5 and 2 inch are super easy to dry fit. 3 and 4 can be done but you have to make sure your fittings and pipe are super clean and they're difficult to separate.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am running 1.5 foam core ABS
Then the nominal socket depth is 11/16", so you can mark 11/16" from the end of your pipe segments to see if your dry-fitting is full depth (or close enough) or not. Equivalently, if you have everything dry fit, you can measure between hubs and add 1-3/8" to check if your pipe segments are full length (or maybe just add 1/16" or an 1/8" less to give yourself a little leeway).

Cheers, Wayne

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Then the nominal socket depth is 11/16", so you can mark 11/16" from the end of your pipe segments to see if your dry-fitting is full depth (or close enough) or not. Equivalently, if you have everything dry fit, you can measure between hubs and add 1-3/8" to check if your pipe segments are full length (or maybe just add 1/16" or an 1/8" less to give yourself a little leeway).

Cheers, Wayne

I will give it a try and let you know the results.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I find that most DWV installations don't need to be accurate to the 1/16..

I think that most rough in can be done with tape measures equipped to the "About" degree of accuracy.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I find that most DWV installations don't need to be accurate to the 1/16..
Sure, but being systematically 1/16" short at each joint can add up and be a problem. Depending on how many fittings are involved.

Now if you dry fit, mark the dry fit insertion depths, find they are all 5/8", and then glue it up without the extra 1/16" of insertion, that's presumably fine, and your result should match your dry fit.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks