Drain noise from upstairs shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Vgorcar

Reaction score
We live in a condo, and recently we noticed water dripping down from the tub area from the upstairs neighbor. The HOA called out the plumber, and they tore open some holes on the side and ceiling of our bathroom, and determined that the supply line going to the upstairs shower was leaking and then fixed that pipe. They then resealed our bathroom, but before they started to repaint it, I noticed that there is a lot of noise coming from what appears to be the drain pipe when the upstairs neighbors take a shower. That noise was not there before. We told the HOA, and the plumbing company came back out and said they never touched any other pipe so it's not something they did but did not offer an explanation for the noise. The construction company then put more insolation into the wall, but that has not really helped.

Here is a video of the noise: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GujnrU3Quw2K8iGc9IfWuXOCA-WrE4yf/view?usp=sharing. Give the noise a couple seconds to start, and it's even much noisier in person and I can hear it from the bedroom with the bathroom door closed. Can someone please help in identifying what might be causing it? It was not there before they tore open the wall. Thank you!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Was there insulation there before that they did not replace? For sound, a double-layer of drywall is often used. In a multi-story, multi-owner dwelling, that ceiling probably should also be fire-rated, which may have called for 5/8" drywall versus 1/2". It could be from many things.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks