Drain from Outbuilding

Users who are viewing this thread

Bluenose

Reaction score
I have an outbuilding I use as a woodworking shop in Massachusetts. I have in stalled a laundry sink and put in a 2 inch drain back to the house and into the main sewer. An inspector has told me that I must have a 4 inch drain from the outbuilding to the house. I asked a licensed plumber his opinion and he said it would be no different than putting a sink somewhere in the house and having to run a 4 in drain frim the new sink to the the main drain.
Do you have an answer or opinion?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have an outbuilding I use as a woodworking shop in Massachusetts. I have in stalled a laundry sink and put in a 2 inch drain back to the house and into the main sewer. An inspector has told me that I must have a 4 inch drain from the outbuilding to the house. I asked a licensed plumber his opinion and he said it would be no different than putting a sink somewhere in the house and having to run a 4 in drain frim the new sink to the the main drain.
Do you have an answer or opinion?
They may have a minimum size four a building drain. The requirement likley has nothing to do with the performance of the drain and has more to do with them wanting a minimum size as a matter of uniformity. That way when you buy a building you know you buying a building that can accept normal plumbing. And normal building standards have been applied.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks