Drain for freestanding tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you're suggesting, building an overflow using a WYE fitting after the tub shoe, in your hand, is exactly how I built mine when I had to move my tub over and still have the drain hit the trap. I found a photo of the tub that I had to build the same thing since they moved the tub after it was originally installed and I broke the waste and overflow that came with the tub.

I've seen some absolutely terrible drains from the factory, so you're likely to do much better.

Attachments

• tub shoe 20190415_101035.jpg
    tub shoe 20190415_101035.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 104

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you're suggesting, building an overflow using a WYE fitting after the tub shoe, in your hand, is exactly how I built mine when I had to move my tub over and still have the drain hit the trap. I found a photo of the tub that I had to build the same thing since they moved the tub after it was originally installed and I broke the waste and overflow that came with the tub.

I've seen some absolutely terrible drains from the factory, so you're likely to do much better.
I like that method basicaly to attack this challenge,

Dogwell

Reaction score

Thank you for that photo! Do you think this would work on a cement slab (post tension so we cannot break it without expensive xray)? The plumber says it's impossible to install a freestanding tub on slab without an island drain. While I understand it may be difficult, I was hoping there may be some tricks to get it done.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work. You're just offsetting the tailpiece of the tub over to the vented trap. The type of floor doesn't matter except for making a case to an inspector about the amount of work it would take to do it differently.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
is the p trap underneath the tub? If yes its all good . if no and its 3 feet away out in the middle of the room then of cource it wont work it will be exposed .

3BoysMomma

Reaction score
Hi All. We are remodeling and are not sure on the options for this tub drain. We have post tension slab so breaking the concrete is not really an option this drain is about 2 ft from the wall making the tub stick out quite a bit. I've seen a lot of freestanding tubs come with flexible hose drains, but I imagine those accordion style folds would easily clog / smell / do all sorts of things down the line. Is there any other option to move this drain? Do angled pipes exist? Is there a limit to the how far the horizontal pipe can extend if we try to push the black pipe / white elbow to the center? Any help would be most appreciated.
3D9AB702-3570-4C6A-8FAA-4938308A2057.jpeg
3D9AB702-3570-4C6A-8FAA-4938308A2057.jpeg
F75FE401-2158-4EBC-841E-809EE87E2121.jpeg
56B44F26-127E-49A1-AEE8-E8EDB1AAD532.jpeg

3BoysMomma

Reaction score
Hi All. We are remodeling and are not sure on the options for this tub drain. We have post tension slab so breaking the concrete is not really an option this drain is about 2 ft from the wall making the tub stick out quite a bit. I've seen a lot of freestanding tubs come with flexible hose drains, but I imagine those accordion style folds would easily clog / smell / do all sorts of things down the line. Is there any other option to move this drain? Do angled pipes exist? Is there a limit to the how far the horizontal pipe can extend if we try to push the black pipe / white elbow to the center? Any help would be most appreciated.
I’m replacing an old garden tub with a clawfoot slipper tub going from a center drain to end drain and exposed overflow/drain plumbing vs all hidden plumbing for garden tub it’s a lot of parts & $$ additional I didn’t anticipate.. I’m going with wall mounted fixtures, moen has a couple and wayfair also most are floor mount or antique look and that’s not my style or the tub style. So good luck!!
5D4CE334-6431-4A37-A096-9C6DAEE26FDD.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks