Drain fly larvae plugging septic filter

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Drain fly larvae and discarded pupae "skin" are plugging septic filter every 6-8 weeks. I am able to clean it, but in the winter getting to septic to open it every 6 weeks is a chore. The tank was put in 18 months ago, replacing an old cement tank that was failing. I have sought advice from the septic builder (38 years experience) and an associated soils expert, and am waiting for reply from a university entymology professor to verify that the material plugging the filter is truly drain fly larvae and remains of developing larvae. Is this a known problem, and what is recommended way to handle it. This system is a mound system.
Thanks. - Mike

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not familiar with your problem. It's sure surprising to me. I don't have a filter, but newer systems like yours do.

When did you last have the septic tank pumped? I wonder why this problem happens-- I would have thought this would have dropped with the solids. Did you put insecticide down the drain to try to deal with this? I am asking and certainly not recommending.

An experience septic cleaner may offer info.

I know 18 months is a short time, but with a lot of people, you need pumping more often. Plus different people put different things down their drains. Put food in the garbage rather than down the disposal.

Reaction score
I am not familiar with your problem. It's sure surprising to me. I don't have a filter, but newer systems like yours do.

When did you last have the septic tank pumped? I wonder why this problem happens-- I would have thought this would have dropped with the solids. Did you put insecticide down the drain to try to deal with this? I am asking and certainly not recommending.

An experience septic cleaner may offer info.

I know 18 months is a short time, but with a lot of people, you need pumping more often. Plus different people put different things down their drains. Put food in the garbage rather than down the disposal.

I asked about pumping, and for now the experienced septic installer says it does not need it. We are a couple in a four bedroom, three bath house and a septic sized for four bedrooms. We do not come close to straining the system. No garbage disposal, follow all recommendations on what goes into a septic. We had the old system for 13 years (from previous owner) and pumped every three years, and never had a filter plug. Have not tried chemicals, waiting for more advice on that because do not want to pamage the tank, nor stop bacterial process in tank.

Blollum

Reaction score
Same problem here. Filter is clogged every month or so. It appears the clog is drain fly larvae and their debris. I haven't found a remedy yet.

ThePixy

Reaction score
I have this same problem and have actually watched this thread for years now. Fortunately I'm in Florida so its not as oppressive if I have to clean the filter in the winter. But its still baffling that so many septic system owners have the same problem and yet none of the septic pumping services I've called know anything about it. I did find an educational link about "drain flies", but all I can think to do now is experiment with chemicals and insecticides. I just wish I didn't have to experiment blindly! Here's the link I found. Hopefully posting it is allowed. https://extensionentomology.tamu.edu/publications/drain-flies/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks